'No Tree Map' MOD for the Strategists.

A Long Winded Introduction of WHY THE MOD...

While playing, I noticed I was getting a wee annoyed with the map. I would be in the 3D slanted view (views '1' - '5') and I wanted trees. When I went to map view, I do not want trees, for they block the view of my troops. The tree bases are all you need! I kept hitting the "Shift-T" key several times to clear the map. Then when I got to the down and dirty view, I had to hit the "Shift-T" key again to get my pretty trees back. And so it went, back and forth. It was real fun. :(

Then a thought sprang into my head, though a rare event that may be :eek:

You can easily make a texture transparent and it was done several times in CMBO mods to get rid of tree bases and so forth. But why not get rid of these top-down map trees so I can use those top views strictly for planning and plotting? And for goodness sakes, leave the tree settings alone at the setting I like and get all that tree goodness in the 3D view, but change to any of the top down map views, the trees are removed from the map! :cool:

I quickly made the top-down map trees transparent and tested it out and no more hitting the "Shift T" key for me!!! The picture shown is with extreme trees.

map_no_tree.jpg

Just click on the picture above and it should download the file for you. You can also get it at CM Oupost main news page (link in my sig). It includes top-down transparent trees for summer, fall, and winter.

Also, for you catalogue snoopers, the CM Outpost news page shows any new entries to the CMBB Catalogue, so it can be a quick place to scan and see if any mods may have slipped your attention.

Good Night!!!

[ October 26, 2002, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: kump ]

russellmz,

Unfortunately, you can't control what tree is drawn where, so you will find the "thinning out" not uniform. Some places will be just as thick as before, unless you do multiple trees. Then you start having big vacant areas. Tricky.

Another solution is to get Tanks A Lot's tree mod when he is done. The trees make spotting troops in the 3D view a lot easier. From the preview, it looks that way anyway. Looking forward to it.