Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Desobry Operation

This is a question regarding the second battle of the Desobry Operation on the CMBO disc.

Is there one??? My human opponant and I fought the first battle, 15 turns I think. Then the second battle set-up came up and we both repositioned our troops in the new set-up areas. I just got the next turn back from my opponant and what was looking like a second night battle immediately became the end of the second battle and new set-up positions in daylight - the second day! What happened to the first night battle in the operation??? Is that the way it is supposed to play out or is there a glitch? There was not one turn of fighting in the second battle. Just a re-positioning of troops. Then daybreak and more re-positioning. What the...???

Thanks for anyone's help (I'm hoping that there are still some CMBOers here that have played this operation).

Toran

Originally posted by Kingfish:

At the end of the first battle you get the option to skip the night battle. Are you sure you or you opponent didn't hit yes by mistake?

Ahhh, I'll bet that's it! Do we both get the option or only one of us, because I don't remember being asked?

Originally posted by Toran:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

At the end of the first battle you get the option to skip the night battle. Are you sure you or you opponent didn't hit yes by mistake?

Ahhh, I'll bet that's it! Do we both get the option or only one of us, because I don't remember being asked?</font>

Originally posted by Toran:

Depends on the designer. He has a choice of allowing either one side, or both, to initiate night combat. I just checked the parameters for Team Desobry, and Wild Bill had chosen the Axis side only.

In the night battle, both sides are allowed a setup phase. However, only the side which is chosen in the parameters gets to initiate the battle. He will get a screen that states: "attempt to skip night combat?" If he chose yes (as I suspect is the case in your game)then the night segment is skipped, and you go straight into the next day.

BTW, Once you are finished playing it I suggest you download and play 'Seven roads to hell'. It depicts the retreat of the Noville garrison back into the Bastogne perimeter.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

BTW, Once you are finished playing it I suggest you download and play 'Seven roads to hell'. It depicts the retreat of the Noville garrison back into the Bastogne perimeter.

KF,

Good to see that you're still with us.

Are you sure about the title 'Seven Roads to Hell," however? I couldn't find that one at the Scenario Depot, though I've been curious about a MacAuliffe scenario called "Foy-Noville" that covers the same period.

Are you sure about the title 'Seven Roads to Hell,"
My goof. I should have said '7 roads to Hell'. In any event, check your e-mail.

though I've been curious about a MacAuliffe scenario called "Foy-Noville" that covers the same period.
Another good one. Eric Antonsen (sp?) has created a series of excellent scenarios based on the battle of the bulge, in particular the actions by KG Peiper and also the battle for Bastogne. Since he is a Belgium native, he has personally visited the battlefields, and his maps are as close as you can get to the real thing.

Take a look here:

Belgium combat mission website

Doesn't 'Malmedy' look familiar? ;)