How about a Great War mod?

Sorry if this has been discussed already,

the threads simply fly past nowadays smile.gif

HMGs... defensive MG suppression increase...

mines... barbed wire... trenches and bunkers...

all elements ready for a WW1 mod, eh?

Don't know if it would be any fun for the

attacking party though!

Someone did do a WWI mod for CMBO however it would be easier and more accurate in CMBB. I have thought of it myself. Simply create map that is 2x1 (ratio wide to high), place non-stop trenches and mg pillboxes across the total width, heavily crater and rubble up non-mans land between the trenches and with slope set to gentle have a series of peak and valleys, toss in some field phone equipped FOs have access to all kinds of artillery for both sides, then give the attacker a 5 to 1 ratio against the defender and give the charge order...and let the games begin.

MikeT

In the original WWI mod, the Somme I think, the gamer moded the Churchill to resemble the British tanks. Now the armor of the Churchill is way to thick but the it do look..acceptable.

One problem is that the speed of the WWII tanks is too high, could be offset by using deep mud. Also only the French and British would use armor, the German tank didn't arrive in any numbers to be of concern. So any armor of use would be modified Soviet. What Sov or lend lease tank would work as WWI?

MikeT

Sure you could do a WW1 style battle but the infantry weapons would still be WW2, SMG's for example. Unless there are squad types with no smg's. (I havent got CMBB yet!)

[ October 07, 2002, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: James ]

Well, I would welcome some graphic mods for WWI scenarios. By playing some tricks to the eye, one of our great modders could make an Italian or Romanian tankette really look like something authentic from the Great War. And dressing the Soviets in German feldgrau Uniforms (and giving French or so outfits to Germans) would provide an amazing look to such scenarios.

By the way: I think the Hungarian assault gun would really make a good St.-Chammond char d'assault.

Originally posted by MikeT:

Someone did do a WWI mod for CMBO however it would be easier and more accurate in CMBB. I have thought of it myself. Simply create map that is 2x1 (ratio wide to high), place non-stop trenches and mg pillboxes across the total width, heavily crater and rubble up non-mans land between the trenches and with slope set to gentle have a series of peak and valleys, toss in some field phone equipped FOs have access to all kinds of artillery for both sides, then give the attacker a 5 to 1 ratio against the defender and give the charge order...and let the games begin.

MikeT

Or perhaps something a little less stereotypical? Like the fighting Rommel saw in Italy, or some of the stuff in the Argonne Forest where there were, believe it or not, trees? :D

Vimy Ridge was captured by the Canadians in a day, and there was no 5 to 1 ratio of attackers to defenders; the first waves went in quite possibly on even terms in places. There were plenty of such instances. Not every battle was like 1 July 1916.

Well I just did a single trench line with 4 MG pillboxes and scattered barb wire along a 1000 yard front. It took nearly 1000 points.

So my question is how extensive a mod are you interested in. We can easily just do the mod with the existing game simply by creating scenarios and no bmp/wav changes.

Making wav changes to the voices in the game can be done by using CMBO voices and redoing them for CMBB. However it takes up a great deal of room for downloads.

So my question is, are people interested in a theater mod such as the ones we did at Combat Misison World, such as the Pacific mod, OR lets just work up scenarios?

MikeT