Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

I want to learn how to MOD!

Can some of the mod gods teach me how to mod?

I just want to learn the basics.

the other day i saw on Pawbroon's Web site; a tweaking the colors guide ; it was really cool but they where using photoshop and i got Photopaint ; so i got stock.

I am telling you this because The mods gods are getting tired of me demanding

I dont know about Photopaint, but most programmes (eg Paintshop) have the basic features that photoshop has. Layers are probably the most important feature as they make modding soooo much simpler. Learn the icons and shortcuts of your programme and apply the techniques he shows. You will be right. The hard part of modding is understanding your software fully to achieve the desired result.

I do photo retouching for a living and I use Photoshop 6 every day. Conceivably I could learn how to mod, but I haven't any idea on how to start.

I've seen that the mod of a bldg or whatever is made up of a multitude of .bmp's that constitute the various surfaces of the mod at different angles, but how would you begin? By taking an existing mod and working on that? Or is that considered theft? I know mods aren't copyrighted, but I don't want to muck about with something that could either get me in trouble or tick someone off.

[ September 13, 2002, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Boo_Radley ]

Boo_Radley,

The first step is to find all the BMPs that constitute the object you want to mod (be it a building, a gun, a vehicle, etc.). There's a list of BMPs floating around the net somewhere, but CMMOS has the complete list (it's used by the program). Once you know which BMPs are involved, you can then figure out how they go together to create the surfaces of the object. There's a pattern to it, in that the first vehicle BMP is usually the hull side, the second BMP is usually the hull top, etc.

Regarding copyright and use of other's mods. AFAIK, in the United States, copyright is automatically provided to the author of an original work, no explicit statement or filing is necessary. While it's not legally required that you ask permission of a mod author before using his work as the basis of your mod, it's considered good form to do so, and to credit the original author(s) in the documetation of your mod.

Gordon