Ultra-odd frontline updates in ops

I´m playing the Arnhem bridge against the AI as the British player. After the first battle I was firmly established (four platoons) in the heavy buildings guarding the arnhem bridge entry into town. During the night (that is second battle) the AI drove up a couple of halftracks and some infantry which I destroyed utterly. The last turn of the second battle saw another halftrack, without passengers, driving up the bridge. I thought "well I will deal with that during the upcoming daybattle". To my surprise I found that during the setup I was not allowed to set up in the key buildings guarding the bridge entry into town! It seems that a lone halftrack, not even carrying any passengers, "bumped" four platoons out of this key position! That simply don´t make any sense to me.

[This message has been edited by Van_Gogh (edited 03-30-2001).]

Originally posted by Van_Gogh:

It seems that a lone halftrack, not even carrying any passengers, "bumped" four platoons out of this key position! That simply don´t make any sense to me.

That's why I don't play operations. BTS needs to overhaul the system IMO, but to each his own.

Yeah Juardis, BTS certainly need to do that. The concept of operations in CM is very attractive but in practise the current system of handling them is simply downright crazy. The system for frontline adjustments is a good start for revision. Every wargamer want to be able to play in some kind of "camapign mode" so for CM to remain popular and attract new wargamers the revision of the system for handling ops should be top priority.

Hey Van Gogh,

The frontlines are much better in v1.12 than they were in the original release. I play operations almost exclusively and have seen a lot of frontlines. If both players don't resort to gamey tricks to manipulate the front-line generation it's actually quite good now.

The Arnhem Bridge Op is a little unusual because of the bridge cutting the board at the exact spot where the Brits are going to concentrate their forces and I have a feeling the algorithm is getting tripped up a bit. There's a lot of weird stuff that happens in this op that you won't see anywhere else.

What probably happened is that the Germans had some units _behind_ your defense at the bridge and it was somehow strong enough to effect the line. Maybe a pillbox or two that you bypassed in battle one or something.

CM doesn't really model ops where one side is surrounded very well.

p.