Am I Understanding this TNT issue?

My searching seems to indicate that the flickering in the text since my upgrade to XP is the result of Anti-aliasing issues.

Since it isn't possible to "force FSAA" on with the TNT2, those of use with those cards are essentially SOL.

Is that right?

If so, is upgarding a video card something that I can do without causing the insides of my computer to end up looking like Dresden c. 1944?

Any help is, as always, much appreciated.

This seems to be the case. I need to double-check it myself. Since the TNT2 family is incapable of performing FSAA, you'll have some in game problems with flickering.

You can upgrade to GeForce card and you may not need to install any drivers since the NVidia Detonators should automatically recognize the GeForce.

I'm under the impression that NVidia has fixed some of the problems that CMBO is seeing. I think the 26.xx series of drivers will fix some of these problems, but I don't know when they'll be released (as either a beta or official). So depending on how much cash you have and your tolerance for the problem, a solution may be coming within a few months.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RobVarak:

Thanks so much. I just wanted to be sure.

I think upgrading is the way to go. I'm fairly comfortable with monkeying around with my PC, but I've never done a video card before. Hopefully it won't be too traumatic.

Thanks again.<hr></blockquote>

Wait till you try a motherboard. :eek:

Thanks, fellas. Ironically, I got a great deal on a GeForce 2, spent last night working out the upgrade, got it up and running, checked the boards and saw the new Detonator drivers LOL smile.gif Probably could've just sat tight and updated the drivers on the TNT2, but oh well...at least I have a better card now.

Thanks again for all the help!

And you may now have more video memory. Go and indulge in some high quality grass... textures.

The 27.10's do seem to be good, quality-wise (at least for CMBO. I've very few 3D games to test in other regards, and the 3-yr-old CPU means I don't bother doing video benchmarks.). Use 'em to avoid getting transparent white text, whirling textures, or blurred landmark labels...

You should always install DirectX FIRST and then load up any new video drivers.

I have seen reports similar to yours with regards to these new drivers. You need to ensure that the old drivers were TOTALLY unistalled prior to installing the 27.10's. That seems to fix the problem.

The best way to do this is to change your video adaptor in device manager to Standard SVGA Adaptor. That should clear out the old drivers properly. Reboot and then install the 27.10's.

This is pretty much the best course of action to take when installing any video driver.

Some people have also needed to manually go in to various directories and delete old nvidia related files before they installed the new beta drivers.

Details on how to do that can be found in this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=002208

One last step is to remember to delete the Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs file prior to running CM in order to clear all the graphic presets.

Madmatt