Playback graphics error?

I was playing the Chambois mission... I got through about 3 turns, and then, when the action got good, all of the graphics essentially disappeared. All of the units became black with everything else maroon around them. I could pick out all of the units, it's just that all the detail was gone. Really only 2 colors on the screen. The game didn't crash, however, it slowed down substantially. I could move around the map; however, there was a significant lag involved. I quit CM and haven't been back since.

I have a PII 266, 192MB RAM, playing in 1024x768 with a Voodoo Banshee chipset(16MB RAM). I have all of the latest drivers.

I have played probably 4 battles before this and never had a problem, other than some minor graphics stuff that I can live with.

Is this what happens when the game slows down due to hi-res mods (which I also use)? Like I said, it seemed to happen when all of the action started occuring, but I was able to watch the playback a few times from one side of the map.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks a lot....

Unfortunately the Banshee-based video cards have seen the end of the lives in terms of future support. This means that there will probably be no "true" fixes for the problem. The Banshees are based on the Voodoo family's 3D engine, so some of the problems you see with those chipsets occasionally occur with the Banshee. The Voodoo 3's were the next generation of chips from 3dfx after the Banshees.

Some of the latest software (which you already have) can be downloaded from Reactorcritical (among other places). There's also a Banshee tweak utility that may be useful:

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

I can only guess that the high number and high resolution of your textures is causing problems for the Banshee. You may want to try reducing the tree coverage on screen (Shift+T) and possibly run at a lower resolution for some of these large battles.

Another option is a second installation of a mod-less CM (or one with low-res mods) and see how these larger scenarios play out.