Villers-Bocage - Tiger! tips

I've played this as the Allies a couple of times (winning) but was wondering if anyone had any tips for minimizing the Ally loses.

The best I've been able to do still leaves me with burning hulks everywhere.

For those interested, my "best" came the last time I played. The initial Tiger turned broadside and a Cromwell IV plinked it, letting me rush some tanks up the flanks for later side and rear shots. In fact, two Cromwell IVs took out 2 of the 4 Tigers (a Firefly took the other 2). I was still left with close to twenty vehicles destroyed to the 5 Axis machines.

------SPOILERISH-------

|

|

|

|

|

\/

You have two groups of vehicles. The smaller group starts the game facing away from three Tigers. Three or four of them will get roasted very rapidly. Scatter your tanks, and fast move them everywhere, since the Tiger's turret turns quite slowly.

The larger group contains lots of halftracks and infantry. Pull the infantry out of the halftracks, reverse the halftracks down the road and scatter them in distant fields. Keep the infantry hidden, since Tigers carry a grenade launcher (Nagwertwungspingongwonggaduffe) which can give them a hard time.

Your Stuarts aren't going to be very effective against their Tigers. Keep them hidden for the later battles when they might be more useful.

You have two 6-pdr AT guns being towed by universal carriers. They are excellent for taking out the Tigers. You also have a pair of PIATs, which you can use to ambush the enemy.

My "best" came after playing this scenario four or five times against the AI and I managed to lose only about six or seven vehicles. This is the way I did it.

SPOILER

I pretty much wrote off the halftracks and infantry that were in the forward position. I was never able to salvage much from that group. The key when playing the AI is let the first Tiger come to you. If you dance around enough "bait", i.e. Stuarts and halftracks zooming between buildings, the Tiger comes down into the town toward the flag (this is after he finishes munching on your forward position units so get the infantry into cover ASAP and don't let them engage the tank!). While you are luring the Tiger into town swing your Cromwells around behind him using the buildings for cover. I did this without losing any (in town) vehicles and took him out with a rear shot from one of three Cromwells that I got behind him. When the other four Tigers show up use similar tactics only this time you have Fireflys to flank around them and use smoke rounds to induce them to creep closer into town. Remember to scurry like rats in the alleyways and never take more than one turn shooting at the beasts from the same position. Take your time dealing with the incoming infantry with stand-off tactics, utilize that 95mm and then rush the upper flag at the end. These tactics of course probably wouldn't work against a human player.

my two cents for what it's worth.

I actually moved all the stuarts around the

far right side. with their speed and smallness, I was quickly behind the first

tiger....actual took out the tiger with a

rear shot at full speed!

I then hid the stuarts, and waited for the

others to arrive. I then gang rushed the

group from three sides, and the stuarts

scored two more tigers before getting wasted.

AAR: the HT got toasted, most of the troops

made it, and I lost around 5 tanks.