3-D Lighting Effects

I am sure this has been brought up before, but a quick search of old threads didnt show up anything, so I'll ask and perhaps someone will have an answer.

My question revolves around 3-d lighting to help me better visualize the terrain.

As it exists in CMBO, the lower the terrain, the 'darker' it appears. I suppose this works for many, but I find it difficult to distinguish the height differences using this method. Especially when I am trying to send my tanks to 'hull-down' positions, or simply trying to read the battlefield from a distance.

Since we are using a 3-D engine, is it not possible to use reflective lighting/shadows to describe the layout of the land or topography?

Since I am not a programmer, I dont know the limiations, but as an otherwise satisfied CM gamer, I dont think it would be unreasonable to consider for some future iteration of the CM series.

Anyone seen or heard anything on this subject??

Thanks in advance.

GD

There are some mods that have a higher contrast on the color gradations between levels, that would be your best bet if you're really having a problem.

The graphics engine that CMBO & CMBB use isn't designed to provide the type of lighting detail that you're looking for. Something may go into the engine rewrite (CMII - the next project after CMBB), but it may not have all the lighting features of many FPS games. There are far more details to light in a game with a large open area with many units, so anything that gets implemented could be a drain on graphics resources.