Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Different graphic on Tiger I tanks?

I just stumbled across some rather interesting information at the WWII vehicles website. According to them, the Tiger I tank stopped being produced with interleaved road wheels after about March 1944. Here is the exact text they used:

However the layout of the rubber tired wheels did give it a smooth and steady ride. In March 1944 (after vehicle 825) all steel wheels were installed and this allowed the outside wheels to be removed.

Can any grogs out there confirm that this was in fact the case and if so, will the Tiger I look graphically different in CMBB after this period? To be honest I'm rather sceptical about this claim as I always thought the Tiger I design remained pretty consistant, especially when it came to the suspension system but I'd certainly be glad to be corrected if wrong on this.

Regards

Jim R.

According to 'Absolute Air, Land & Sea': PZKpfwVI Tiger Tank CD, the rubber wheels for an early model tiger were interleaved in the following sequence (first sequence represents the first axle from front; the wheel positions are inner:Inner middle:middle outer:Outer so 0:2:0:1 = 0xinner wheel; 2xInner middle wheels;0xmiddle outer;1xOuter wheel )-

0:2:0:1

1:0:2:0

For the late model Tiger, with steel rimmed wheels

(RHS, first sequence represents the first axle from front; the wheel positions are inner:Middle:Outer)

0:2:0

1:0:1

Hope that helps.

[ October 26, 2002, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Mace ]

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

So have I misinterpreted WWII vehicles' statement because the way I read it it seems to say they stopped interleaving the road wheels on the Tiger after March 1944.

Probably, it appears the wheels were continued to be interleaved, but in a different sequence and with less wheels.

Regardless, CMBB models the outer wheels only and looking at the Early and Late Tiger models, they obviously have the placement of these correct.

Mace

[ October 26, 2002, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Mace ]