You have got to try this ...........

In my never ending quest to find a way to make the computer a more challenging opponent in a QB I think that I have finally hit pay-dirt.

The basic idea is that you are not allowed to issue any orders until after the A.I. starts to attack your troops.

Ok heres the details:

1.) set-up the QB just like you would for a human opponent. Also let the computer choose the forces so you dont know what you have or what your up against. Dont give the computer any bonuses (he wont need any smile.gif) - also dont make yourself the attacker - you will see why later.

2.) During the set-up phase you are NOT allowed to move or give orders to ANY unit. Leave them lined up against the back of the map. You can not even tell units to hide. Just hit the "GO" key.

There are 2 exceptions to this rule:

a) if the computer places a vehicle in a woods, rough or other impassable terrain square, in that case you are allowed to move the vehicle to the closest availble open terrain square. or

B) if you are defending in an attack/assault/probe battle you may set-up any non-manned defensive items (mines, roadblocks, wire .. etc), you may NOT move bunkers or guns - where they are is where they stay.

3.) Once the game starts you must continue to hit the "GO" key without giving ANY orders to your units until ONE of your units has sustained at least ONE casualty.

The definition of a casualty is at least one person wounded/KIA or a vehicle destroyed or abandoned.

Immobilized or damaged vehicles do NOT count. Inflicting casualties on the enemy does NOT count. If a unit routes off the edge of the map this also does NOT count (unless it had at least one wounded/KIA before routing off the map).

After your troops have recieved at least one casulty then you can issue orders to all your units as normal. Now just continue playing the game as normal, the restrictions are only active until a casualty is recieved, after that just play the QB as you normally would.

The gist of this Idea is to give the computer the advantage of setting up its units and moving them forward before you can. You are forced to assemble your platoons while under fire and then trying to counter-attack the computer using the surviving troops. The rusult is some of best and most exciting games I have ever played against the computer. I play all my single-player games using this system and every game has been very competitive.

Give this system a try and let me know what you think.

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: George-III ]

Dear George III,

Have you tried Franko's True Combat Rules for a serious challenge vs the AI ?

Try a small battle < 500 pts. Use all or some of the rules as you think mirror reality.

My first impression regarding your game option is that it isn't historically realistic with regard to tactics but it certainly would get one into playing the game quickly.

I also think that your option may magnify one of the (IMHO) irritating experiences in this otherwise great game. Namely, kills made by enemy units at the GO command

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George-III:

Oh well... Maybe it losses something in the way I described it. But I really love playing the a.i. this way.

Just try it before you knock it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it sounds interesting and I'm going to try it, though maybe not until I'm done with the insanely difficult Wild Bill Rumblings of War tournament.

My old and tender eyes won't stand the closeup views necessary for Franko's True Combat Rule--for me a formula for blindness and vertigo-- so this looks like an interesting alternative.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Commander:

Maybe you could achieve nearly the same effect by choosing your own units and limiting your purchase to half the points that the computer gets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To make it more fair, I tend to give the AI a 25 or 50% force advantage, then buy the AI's units, and let it buy mine. Even better...give it Reg/Vet's and myself Green only.

A new friend.... or a new enemy.

Either one can be fun to play with, heh.

Althought I like the AI... as bad as it is for your actual abilities against an intelligent opponent, playing the AI is just so much -easier-. I overanalyze PBEM games, and TCP/IP is a bit too.... personal... for me. So, yeah.

Wait, I'm a lurker, I'm not supposed to speak. I have violated my code of solitude! Doh.