Sound just disappeared!

Help.... sound went away!

I have new system, 1 month old. All has been working perfectly. Today sound just went away. Nothing!

My computer is plugged into a stereo, the stereo still works with its components, other computer programs still make sound, so the sound card and connectors are right.

I have tried shift-s.

Is there any other reason the CMBO sound might just stop altogether?

Thanks

You didn't rename the "sound" directory in CMBO did you ? Have you changed drivers for you audio or anything else of that nature ?

Launch the following from the Run command on the Start Menu: c:\program files\directx\setup\dxdiag. Go to the Sound tab > press the Test Directsound button and see if you get playback. This should give you about a dozen or so audio tests (different sample rates, stereo/mono, etc.) of a sound. More than likely this should work. If it doesn't then there is some sort of DirectX problem affecting the sound.

You may also have to turn up your audio since it may be a bit more quiet under CM than your system sounds (a tweak set in the 1.03 patch).

After several failed attempts, (thanks for the advice folks)I saved my games files, did a complete re-install and the sound came back.

Shift-S, did nothing and the sound card/drivers all checked perfectly and EVERY OTHER program ran fine with sound! I have no idea what happened.

Wow... life without CM flashed before my eyes.