Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Red Steel now part of www.skalman.nu

Thorleif Olsson's Red Steel site, with it's many wonderful and sometimes ultrarare pictures (a Wanze (Borgward B IV mit multiple Panzerschreck launcher) of captured Russian and German equipment, has been incorporated into the much larger site listed in the title.

The new site, run by a Swede named Marcus Wendel, is devoted to military history clear back to the Russo-Japanese War, but has heavy content on World War II. Information of major interest to people here will be found in the Soviet Union Factbook and the Germany Factbook, the latter also addressing her allies. Great gaps remain in this allied coverage (equipment descriptions I checked covered aircraft only), but if someone wants to depict the Romanian Military Bravery Medal, it's there. Similarly, the Lend Lease section provides marvelous breakdowns of what AFVs were delivered, by type. Songs galore for Axis and allies; forgot to check same for Russians.

I don't claim this is thorough, being merely the results of a fast, selective skim.

Regards,

John Kettler

Marcus runs a good message board too, attached to his Third Reich fact book. His forum attached to the Soviet Union fact book still seems a bit too political for me, but I haven't been there in ages.

John, you are right in that he is a good source of info on Romanians and Axis minor allies also - while far from complete, he seems to have more than any other English language source.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Thorleif Olsson's Red Steel site, with it's many wonderful and sometimes ultrarare pictures (a Wanze (Borgward B IV mit multiple Panzerschreck launcher) of captured Russian and German equipment, has been incorporated into the much larger site listed in the title.

can't find that pic there. I'ld be interested to see it. can you tell me where that particular pic is?

Originally posted by Kekk1:

See here.

Cheers.

ah, I suspected that, there aren't that many pics of that vehicle around.

I wonder what's so special about that pic, Jason. I've had it on the Panzerfaust page for two or three years now. It's the same pic:

http://www.geocities.com/pizzatest/panzerfaust3.htm (bottom of page)

Btw, the context in which the salman page shows it is misleading. Because although it is technically a captured vehicle, the soviets obviously never used it. It is from a series of pictures taken in berlin *after* the fighting. The russians in the pic are just posing with the abandoned vehicle.

edited to insert url

[ June 27, 2002, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]