Screen going white

I just (finally) got CM, and installed it. My screen is 1024/768, but that size wasn't available on CM. I went to 800 by 600, which worked fine until I started a battle, when almost the whole screen was white except for the words, and the unit bases, which were red. Right now I'm working with the last option (I think it's 640/480), but then I can't read the unit information, and the graphics are somewhat grainy. I'd like to be able to use the 800/600; what's the matter? :(

Assuming that you're using a PC you can find out your Windows version by going to:

Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > In the upper right of the General tab under System will be the Windows version.

While you're here you can also find out a bit about your video card. Go to the Device Manager tab and click on the plus-sign next to the Display Adapters listing. This will give you the name of your video (according to the driver that is installed). Highlight the video card listed and either double-click on it or click on the Properties button. This will bring up another tabbed dialog box. Click on the Driver tab and, depending on what version of Windows you're running, click on the Driver File Details button or it may be listed already. We want the version number for either the .DRV or .VXD file (but not the VDD.VXD or VMM32.VXD - as these are Microsoft files not specific to your video card).

Depending on what OS you have installed, a default version of DirectX will be associated with it. For example Windows 98 will have DirectX 5.0, Windows 98 2nd Edition will have DirectX 6.1 and Windows ME will have DirectX 7.1 (?). If you have any other DirectX-based games installed on your PC, they may have installed a newer version of DirectX than what may have came with your OS. Check your DirectX version by going to:

Start Menu > Run > and type C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTX\SETUP\DXDIAG (that should hopefully be there for the version of DirectX that you may have). The first tab will have information at the bottom about the version of DirectX that is running on your system. There are also other ways of telling what's on your system if you have Windows 98 or newer. Go to:

Start Menu > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > and launch System Information. In an Explorer-like interface you can find out further details about your computer from this one applet, but you would have to know some more details about your system already.

The problem that you're most likely seeing is that your video card isn't being recognized or is incapable of supporting CM's 3D DirectX calls. When this happens CM utilizes software rendering of the 3D battlefield. This can be slow and will limit your resolution choices (which max's out at 640 x 480 on a PC and at 800 x 600 on a Mac - I believe). Sometimes it is necessary to reinstall or update your video drivers and possibly reinstall/update DirectX. Beyond this the solutions get quite a bit more complicated.

From what I can tell the M2GFX.DRV file is actually related to the MPact MPEG card and not your video card.

DirectX 6.1 should be sufficient for CM. What really matters here is the drivers for your video card and their compatibility with particular versions of DirectX. You'll need to look through the previous instructions again and select your display adapter over to find out the driver version (you'll need to find out the version of the driver - so we can tell if there is anything newer than what you are already running). Is your computer a name-brand like Gateway or something ? If it is then certain information on the back of the computer (label) and possibly your purchase number can help with technical support from Gateway.

Windows 95 is a bit old, but it should still work (Win95 B preferably).

The "Fog Table Emulation" Switch is only present in certain drivers, most notably those for NVidia-based video cards. It's usually found in one of the tabs in the Display control panel (tabs that will show up when the "Advanced" button is clicked on the Settings tab). There's a very good chance that your driver doesn't have this feature (either it doesn't require that fog table emulation be specifically enabled or the card may not be capable of generating fog tables).

The point made by dima is that if you don't have "fog table emulation" turned on and you play a scenario with fog in it, then you display driver may grey out the entire 3D battlefield. Again that will happen only when fog is present in the scenario or operation (and only with certain drivers/video cards).