Faster...

You could do it by hand, but that would really take a long time. No, there is no alternative way to unzip a file. The algorithm used is what is taking so long. The file has been compressed, and you are waiting for it to uncompress.

Two things will speed up the action of unzipping:

1. Faster processor,

2. More RAM.

Faster CPU will help, yes. More RAM, probably not, unless you have like 32MBs or less. Also could depend on what zip program you're using and how it is unzipping the files (one at a time or all at once) into memory.

You could always try a different unzip program. Winzip seems to work ok. I use PowerZip at home. It's good too.

BeWary

Originally posted by wwb_99:

More RAM always helps. At least if you are running Win2000 or XP. 98 and such really dont make good use of RAM above 256mb, and more than 512mb is a waste.

WWB

95/98/Me doesn't make good use of more than 32MB. Seriously. Ok, WinMe does sort-of-OK with up to 64MB, but you really have to move to Win2K or XP to really take advantage of 64MB+.

Originally posted by JMcGuire:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wwb_99:

More RAM always helps. At least if you are running Win2000 or XP. 98 and such really dont make good use of RAM above 256mb, and more than 512mb is a waste.

WWB

95/98/Me doesn't make good use of more than 32MB. Seriously. Ok, WinMe does sort-of-OK with up to 64MB, but you really have to move to Win2K or XP to really take advantage of 64MB+.</font>

He asked what would make unzipping faster, and no, more RAM will not make unzipping faster unless, as I said, he has 32MB or less (and only because Windows is going to use most of that for itself, assuming Win9x family). RAM is only used for storing programs and their data. So only if it gets used up and the computer starts accessing the hard disk wildly will more RAM help. However, unzipping files is not exactly a RAM-intensive process, at least it shouldn't be, and therefore it probably won't make a difference for him. The CPU is doing the unpacking (unzipping), so a faster CPU is really what counts.