Anyone have a solution to this problem I'm haveing?

I load up the demo, and go to the scenario section. All the text for the scenarios are gone (the field is blank).

I click where the text should be for a scenario and click contine. The mission breifing text is blank, the choose plae type text is blank, etc etc.

Before I start trying to firgure out the prob I'm checking here to see if there's a known solution.

Sys specs:

P4 1Gig mem

SB live plat 5.1

GF4 TI 4600

running the new Nvidia 40.41 det drivers

[ September 03, 2002, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Shrap ]

From the CMBB demo readme file...

Troubleshooting

Windows

When Combat Mission does not want to run, or the monitor stays “black” for some time and nothing happens, there is a good chance that something went wrong with unpacking the demo files. A simple way to check if the CM demo has been correctly installed is to look in the “Combat Mission” directory, if all BMP and WAV files are located in the correct subdirectories (called “BMP” and “WAV” respectively). If this is not the case, then simply move these files into the correct directories, and the game should run.

NOTE: When the CM Demo is started for the first time, the program will check your available graphics hardware, and a window appears asking “Can you see this?”. You have to click the OK button to confirm. When you want to change your graphics preferences (for example, when you purchase a new graphics card or monitor), then simply delete the CMBB Preferences file (called “CMBB Prefs”) and your graphics parameters will be checked next time you start up the game automatically.

System Requirements

 Supported Operation Systems (PC/Mac):

Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP

Mac OS 8.6 to 9.xx

CMBB does not run under Windows NT, as Windows NT does not fully support DirectX.

CMBB does not run natively under Mac OS X. More details on this issue can be found on our Tech Support Forum located at:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=8

 System Requirements MINIMUM (PC/Mac):

Pentium 500MHz Processor (PC)

G3 (Mac)

16Mb Video card capable of running in 800x600 resolution or higher

64MB of RAM

CD-ROM drive

1.2 Gigabytes of Hard Drive space required (160Mb required for Demo)

DirectX 8.0 compatible sound and video cards (PC)

28.8 modem or Network/Internet access for multiplayer

 System Requirements RECOMMENDED (PC/Mac):

Pentium 800MHz Processor or faster (PC)

G4 (Mac)

32Mb Video card capable of running in 800x600 resolution or higher

128MB of RAM or more

CD-ROM drive

1.2 Gigabytes of Hard Drive space required (160Mb required for Demo)

DirectX 8.0 compatible sound and video cards (PC)

28.8 modem or Network/Internet access for multiplayer

Drivers and DirectX

Most problems can be solved by installing the newest drivers for DirectX and/or drivers for your mouse, sound or video hardware or if your on a Mac installing the latest extensions. When you experience problems with graphics or sound in the demo, you should first install the newest available drivers. This cannot be stressed enough!

DirectX 8.0 fulfills the minimum requirements, but later versions are even better. DirectX can be found under http://www.microsoft.com/directx/homeuser/downloads/default.asp.

Nvidia Drivers- Detonator 40’s

Nvidia has released a new set of drivers in the last week for Windows 2000 and Windows XP. It is anticipated that Windows 98 and ME drivers will be released soon. These drivers are called Detonator 40 and the current version is 40.41.

We have tested these drivers and there appears to be a bug in how they now handle Full Screen Anti-Aliasing (FSAA).

If you have an Nvidia video card and have these drivers installed, when you launch the game you will no longer see any on screen text if you have FSAA enabled, which is the default.

In order to see text you can do one of the following:

A.) Disable FSAA for Direct3D applications. This can be done via the Nvidia Control Panel. Just select NONE as the option for the level of antialiasing desired.

B.) If you wish to keep using FSAA you can alternately switch to the desktop (Alt-Tab) and back to the game and the text should re-appear. You may have to do this several times during the course of a game though.

C.) Revert to an older version of the drivers. The best drivers to date for compatibility and stability are the 30.82 series drivers which you can still download directly from Nvidia’s website. The 30.82 series drivers should allow you to run in all FSAA modes with no visual issues.

At this time we can not recommend these drivers however as we are getting reports from other developers and game players of widespread issues with them. We recommend the 30.82 versions.

Mouse cursor

When your mouse cursor behaves strangely (disappears, freezes etc.) then you should make sure that you are not using a custom mouse cursor. If this is the case, please disable this and use the standard Windows cursor when playing the demo. We have tried to code around the problem with custom cursors, but unfortunately there are always a number of video cards / drivers which have problems with this.

Tip

Whenever you try to find the reason for a problem, it is a good idea to delete the CMBB Prefs file. Next time you start up the game after deleting the file, the CMBB Demo will automatically look for new a video setting. This is like a fresh start.

General troubleshooting

Transparency

Unfortunately, some older video cards are unable to display the transparency effects in CMBB correctly – these are most visible when rendering transparent house walls and smoke. That’s why CMBB offers the display option “quick and compatible”. Simply set “Transparent Buildings” (Shift-O) to OFF and smoke effects (Shift-I) to “quick and compatible”.

Fog

In order to show the translucent fog effects properly your video card must be able to handle Fog Tables and Fog Table Emulation. While most video cards can, ATI video cards (including the newest Radeon card) for the PC can not (while they can on the Mac). If the fog in the game appears to be solid grey then you can use the weather display option (Shift-W) to turn the fog off. This setting has no effect on the game effects of fog, just on its display.

Game performance

There are several options to improve game performance. Try one or all of the options listed below.

 (Windows only) Activate the hardware acceleration for DirectX/Direct3D (in the DirectX settings)

 adjust visual display of trees (Shift-T) to “moderate” or “sparse”, or disable them altogether

 adjust visual display of terrain elements (Shift-N) to “moderate” or “sparse”, or disable them altogether

 set the horizon (Shift-H) to a lower max value than “infinite”

 set smoke display (Shift-I) to “quick and compatible” or disable it altogether

 set the amount of men displayed per squad (Shift-M) to “2 men per squad”

 set Weather/Fog (Shift-W) to OFF

 set SOUND (Shift-S) to OFF or “no ambient sound”

 buy a newer 3D video card with more RAM (16 MB or more for best results). This will immediately improve game performance.

Playing by email – Old version?

When you or your opponent sees the message that the PBEM file is too old or too new, then on of you is using an older version of the CMBB Demo.

Uninstalling Demo

In order to uninstall the Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin Demo, simply delete the CMBB Demo folder. CMBB does not have any hidden files or registry entries.

All rights reserved. Copyright 2002 Battlefront.com, Inc.

“Combat Mission – Barbarossa to Berlin” was developed by Battlefront.com, Inc. and is sold direct from www.battlefront.com except in Europe where it is distributed by CDV Software Entertainment AG.

Just to let all of you guys know, the new Nvidia drivers 40 do work with CombatMission Beyond Overlord, with AA turned on. There is a trick though to get running right. When you initially load the game you will here the music but will only get a black screen, if you hit the escape button on your keyboard, you will be taken to the desktop. You will see CombatMission on your toolbar at the bottom, left click on this , and when the game screen pops back up it will work. You are correct though in saying AA will not run with CMBB demo, none of the driver versions will, I've tried them all. I hope this is something that will be fixed, because when this game is running with AA turned on, it is simply incredible to look at, especially with some of those great mods that have been done.