A few questions about Yelnia Stare and historical fidelity

Khane

Originally posted by Panzer Boxb:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by K_Tiger:

The guy with the axe on the second instruction picture, is possible a finn... :cool:

Naaaahh...it would have to be a toothpick for it to properly represent a Finn tank hunter. :D </font>

I thought it was the Soviet troops who used the axes? They were used as a counter to the Log wielding Finns as protection for their tanks. When a company of Soviet Axe troops met up with a company of log toting Finns the wood chips really started to fly!! :eek: It is actually a myth that Finns used toothpicks to take out Soviet tanks. Most of the lumber used by the Finns were incredibly large trees .... the largest in the forest.

I seem to recall a certain hero of Finland who was using trees that were at least 50 meters long/tall so he could attack Soviet tanks from a safe enough distance. The major drawback to the use of big trees was that it was difficult to get good velocity while swinging the huge logs. the user of these huge logs was prone to hit other trees that remained standing between them and the target tank - unless he was using a downward or a vertical stroke. Restricting your means of attack to a downward stroke left you open to Soviet axe troops since they could anticipate and counter this move. Since most of Finland is heavily forested this was a real problem in some areas north of the Karelian peninsula.

I think this is where the toothpick myth was created because you wouldn't have to worry about hitting other trees when using a toothpick. Toothpicks are handy enough to be used in the densest of forests. You just have to be more precise with a toothpick than you have to be with a 50 meter tree.

I just came back home now and found all your answers.Thank you all for the answers and the explanations.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Quite a lot happened to change that between Barbarossa and Overlord.

That the impression I got after playing Yelnia Stare in particular . Well , I preordered the game last week...I hope that more surprises will arrive together with the CD.

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

Originally posted by wwb_99:

--without infantry, armor is easily dealt with by close assaults.

Sure, if you have BIG brass ones, no kin, paid up insurance and don't mind a load in your shorts...

We talk easily about this sort of thing from the comfort of our PC hutch, but my limited experience being on the ground next to (admittedly friendly) operating tanks left me shaking at the knees. Those things can kill you when they LIKE you. Being near hositle ones who like crunchies underfoot is still a job for those with iron nerves, quick step and a lucky rabbits foot in their pocket.

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Yeah isn't it not uncommon for combat troops to be shaking like they're naked in January after a firefight vs. just a few riflemen- let alone 40 ton steel nightmares?

Gunnermoz and Silvio , you are so right ! I have a limited experience at aiming at tanks or other vehicles from my PC but from my personal and less limited experience ( not in front of a PC this time :( and some 20 years ago ) , I can assure you that in real life this is an other world...an other planet. The big difference is that in front of your PC you don't piss in your pant , don't shake , don't sweat ( maybe you do but certainly for different reasons ), and when you aim , the fire sight surprisingly stands still... and there is no "Save" button. ;)

Khane