Units killing themselves

I was playing a quick battle the other night, and two of my vehicles "killed" themselves (confirmed by looking at each vehicle unit's detail screen, where each unit listed itself as one of the targets destroyed). Any ideas on how this could happen, and is it a bug?

One vehicle was a halftrack, the other an armored car (both British, with machineguns, but I don't remember the exact types). The scenario was in thick fog, and the two vehicles were both shooting at a German infantry squad (which was down to two men). The squad passed very close by both vehicles, and each vehicle self-immolated as the squad passed by. At first I thought that that must be one hell of a pair of German soldiers (uber-Finns, perhaps? ;) ), but on further inspection I noticed that the vehicles had done themselves in. My theory is that the vehicles shot themselves as they tracked the squad running past – but this does not seem to be very realistic, even in thick fog. Any other ideas?

I once saw a Wespe kill itself, but there was a perfectly reasonable explanation. There was a PIAT crew at 10 m range, dead ahead. The Wespe kicked into reverse and fired. BOOM. Thin armor + big shell + point blank range = BAD IDEA.

Ironically, the PIAT crew was unharmed. :D

An opponent of mine once had an HMC kill itself. He was reversing the HMC behind a house, it fired, the shell hit the house, and knocked out the HMC.

Not sure how a halftrack could shoot itself but weird stuff happens in the fog.

From Skolman

US Halftracks can kill themselves with their MG´s.

When they fire straight ahaid at night or in dense fog it happens very often....the machine gunner can even kill himself i think.

Wow. I assume that by "very often" you mean in the game, not in real life. ;) Both my vehicle machinegunners killed their entire crews, including themselves, and I don't care how dark or foggy it is, there's no way you'll shoot yourself.