Blocky Explosions where they weren't before....

paullus

Good evening guys,

I did manage to get the game to work again (thank god), but I have a new problem.

1) Running Win98 with a Voodoo Banshee AGP (16 meg card) I was able to view the nice hi-res explosions.

Now, after upgrading to Win ME, the explosions are all blocky. Anyone have any idea why this would be? Again, I was able to view the better explosions before, just not now.

Any help would be appreciated. I did a search, but the other posts don't go into the whole "now you see it, now you don't" issue. Thanks.

Guest Madmatt

When you upgraded to ME it is almost guaranteed that it uninstalled the old drivers and re-installed ME specific ones. Those MS drivers are keeping you from seeing the graphics you should. You will need to find a set of 3Dfx Win ME drivers instead of the generic MS ones that are running on your system now.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-26-2000).]

You will probably have to install the Win9x drivers for your Voodoo Banshee under WinME. 3dfx doesn't have any WinME specific drivers for the Banshee and probably won't be creating any in the near future (they don't have any publicly released BETAs at the moment). The Win9x drivers should work (especially for CM), but there may be other problems under WinME. You'll proabably have to see for yourself to determine if CM-compatibility is worth the possible problems:

3dfx Voodoo Banshee Win9x driver (v. 1.04.00):

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/drivers/voodoo_banshee/voodoo_banshee_win9x_new.stm

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think that these drivers will work correctly in my system, and will allow me to have correct hi-res smoke and explosions?

I have a P II 400 MHz, with Windows 98 and a 3D Blaster Banshee 16 Mb AGP.

The drivers provided by Creative for my graphic card produce the well-known blocky smoke !!!

Thank you very much for your help.

Txema

Txema - sometimes it is best to use the manufacturer supplied/updated drivers. I'm not sure if the Creative drivers will fix the problems that you're seeing. Theone problem is that the manufacturer-specific drivers are usually not the latest.

Here's the latest Creative drivers for the Banshee (which you may already have). There is also a BIOS update for the video card (which won't address the problem you're seeing in CM, but may be necessary for the driver to work properly).

Creative Win98 Banshee driver w/BIOS v. 1.03.2 (v. 1.10, 8-27-99):

http://www.creative.com/support/files/download.asp?reg=0&OS=Win98∏=db_ban&se lect=Get+Files

I remember some previous posters who had problems with the transparency effects with Voodoo Banshee-based video cards. I'm surprised that paullus was actually able to see the effects. I don't think I was able to ever offer a fix for these people. If paullus remembers his previous driver version (and who it came from) when he had Win98 installed, then that would be the set to get a hold of.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 12-07-2000).]