Flaming an Elevated Position

I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to make a flamethrower-equipped tank to fire on a position with the flamethrower rather than the main gun. Also, can the flame be used to reach an elevated position that the main gun cannot?

In a game I am playing, the enemy is on an elevated position on a ridge above the road. An infantry squad has ambushed my infantry and I can't reach them with my armor (it's a wooded ridge).

I've managed to get a tank equipped with a flamethrower directly under the enemy position, but don't know how to activate the flames to get the enemy troops.

I'm not sure if this is even possible--if not, then my troops on the ridge are dead men--but any info on doing this would help a lot.

Thanks,

I'd say target the area of the ridge as close as possible to the enemy infantry. If you can see a portion of land within 10-20m of the enemy, and you're in dire straights . . . I'd let er rip with area fire.

Your flame tank (croc?) will shell the area infeffectively with it's HE (75mm?), but the FLAME weapon usually sends a spread pattern that is quite wide. I've seen my flame tanks squirt the ouchy heat in a WIDE area, when told to area target a specific spot. Most of your flame juice will probably end up well off target, but . . .

It way well turn out that your flame tank squirts a burst of flammen-fright right on top of the wooded area. Maybe even lighting the woods afire. That would surely help out, eh?

(Kind of a waste of ammunition, I admit.) smile.gif

Gpig

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gpig:

It way well turn out that your flame tank squirts a burst of flammen-fright right on top of the wooded area. Maybe even lighting the woods afire. That would surely help out, eh?

(Kind of a waste of ammunition, I admit.) smile.gif

Gpig<hr></blockquote>

Well if it makes the enemy run away, screaming like little girls, then it's not really a waste of ammo then is it?

Thanks for the help tips. I'll let you know what happens when the game continues. We're in the process of moving, so it might be a bit. smile.gif

Well, I finally got an outcome for that situation. I tried targetting as close to the enemy position as possible and used the main gun of the Churchill Crocodile FT.

When I started the turn, the tank tried firing rounds at the enemy but kept missing because of the elevation. Finally, he decided he should flame the positions. HE tried this, but the flame went over the enemy's heads and landed in the forest nearby.

A second tongue of flame landed just short of the enemy, but close enough to alarm them. A third overshot the enemy again, landing on my own squad, killing them all :eek:

At any rate, the enemy made a withdrawal to a better position, chasing the remnants of my platoon through the woods.

The moral of this story:

Make sure you don't have troops near a flame tank when the commander can't see them! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I think what you really want is indirect fire over an obstacle, into unobservable ground behind it, yes?

That doesn't work in CMBO, however, several times I could do something along the line by setting area fire to the topmost visible point of the obstacle. About 1/3 of the rounds will aim too high (and a low-velocity weapon is even better :), and some may land where you want them. It's a waste of ammo, but if you have the ammo, it's certainly better than doing noting. Watch the backblast, though, don't do it if you're right behind the obstacle and you unit is a Hummel.

Would you consider that gamey, BTW?