Merry Xmas at Hemroulle

Guest ciril

I am playing the scenario by e-mail as the Americans. The 75mm howitzers aren't mentioned in the briefing. Was this intended? The battle is well underway now, and from what I can see it might be that the Americans are too strong.

Ciril

The battle is well underway now, and from what I can see it might be that the Americans are too strong

Unless your opponent made some serious blunders early on, you will find it a hard fight for the U.S. player. The first time I played it was a double blind PBEM and it was edge of your seat all the way thru.

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"

***** SPOILERS *****

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Unless your opponent made some serious blunders early on, you will find it a hard fight for the U.S. player. The first time I played it was a double blind PBEM and it was edge of your seat all the way thru.

Well, he lost two panzers early on, but then I lost 3 Hellcats. I sent them 1 on 1 head on(hulldown though) and they lost the duels. I don't usually employ TD's this way, but I've been distracted lately so it's little wonder. He lost some infantry too. I also lost a few field guns to DF from the panzers (I had let my guns open up as soon as they saw targets). We are now exchanging artillery fire. I'm quite confident the US are going to win. It only remains to be seen by how much, unless the Germans have a few aces up their grey sleeves.

Ciril

Hi Ciril,

so you say he has lost two Panzers and you don't have Hellcats anymore? Oh boy, are you in for a surprise smile.gif

The howitzers should be in that briefing, must be an oversight or typo. I'll fix this when I have time (yeah, next year...) But you will find that they can't do much against... errmm, well you will find out.

Martin

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

Originally posted by Moon:

Hi Ciril,

so you say he has lost two Panzers and you don't have Hellcats anymore? Oh boy, are you in for a surprise smile.gif

The howitzers should be in that briefing, must be an oversight or typo. I'll fix this when I have time (yeah, next year...) But you will find that they can't do much against... errmm, well you will find out.

Martin

Well, Hemroulle is surrounded by German tanks which are knocking down houses one by one. Artillery is raining down too. So like, is that supposed to scare me? :)

What obstructed my plans most is the restriction you put on the US placement. I would have much liked to put my Hellcats on the American right instead of in the town (they can't get out of the wood perimeter) so as to annoy the Germans' flank. The howitzers too, I think, would be much better off on that hill on the right, because as it is now their fields of fire are too narrow. The placement area limits feel a bit artificial.

Ciril

Originally posted by Moon:

Hi Ciril,

Martin

Well, Hemroulle is surrounded by German tanks which are knocking down houses one by one. Artillery is raining down too. So like, is that supposed to scare me? :)

What obstructed my plans most is the restriction you put on the US placement. I would have much liked to put my Hellcats on the American right instead of in the town (they can't get out of the wood perimeter) so as to annoy the Germans' flank. The howitzers too, I think, would be much better off on that hill on the right, because as it is now their fields of fire are too narrow. The placement area limits feel a bit artificial.

Ciril

Glad you like it, Lanzfeld.

Ciril, I am not sure if I know what you mean. You can place the Hellcats anywhere you want within town or to the right of it. You CAN also place them on the extreme right and get out of the wooded perimeter - but you will have to make a decision between hiding them OR putting them into a pretty exposed right flank. That is intended.

It is also not entirely unrealistic. Hemroulle has been the division's rear area by the time the Germans reached it (they broke through the lines in the morning and were heading clear for Bastogne) and the howitzers main job was to provide artillery support for the units in the front. They were not set up to provide an anti-tank screen, a role into which they were forced by the development of the battle.

Overall, this IS a tough play for the US against a human Axis player. It is even pretty challenging as US vs. the AI, and that's how it's been designed.

Martin

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

Glad you like it, Lanzfeld.

Ciril, I am not sure if I know what you mean. You can place the Hellcats anywhere you want within town or to the right of it. You CAN also place them on the extreme right and get out of the wooded perimeter - but you will have to make a decision between hiding them OR putting them into a pretty exposed right flank. That is intended.

You're right. I apologize. As I said, I've been distracted lately. I meant to question the "have to make a decision" thing. I suppose the US rear area (off the map) was impassable to Hellcats so you imposed a wooded borderline? Or did you just want to make it harder for the US player?

Short notes in scenario briefings might help clarify potentially puzzling design issues. For instance, I sometimes see orange-base units placed where I think they shouldn't be.

I realize you didn't have time and all.

It is also not entirely unrealistic. Hemroulle has been the division's rear area by the time the Germans reached it (they broke through the lines in the morning and were heading clear for Bastogne) and the howitzers main job was to provide artillery support for the units in the front. They were not set up to provide an anti-tank screen, a role into which they were forced by the development of the battle.

I see. Good call then.

Overall, this IS a tough play for the US against a human Axis player. It is even pretty challenging as US vs. the AI, and that's how it's been designed.

Martin

And it's a good scenario, too. Thanks for replying.

Ciril

Originally posted by ciril:

>Short notes in scenario briefings might help >clarify potentially puzzling design issues. >For instance, I sometimes see orange-base >units placed where I think they shouldn't

>be. I realize you didn't have time and all.

You know, I don't think there _are_ any orange-base units in that scenario. Come to think of it, I've seen a couple of scenarios recently where orange-based units were in strange places--and I discovered that, in fact, I could move them! I think one of the newer patches may have introduced a bug in the way bases are displayed during set-up.

Scott Orr

I see. Good call then.

Martin

And it's a good scenario, too. Thanks for replying.

Ciril

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ciril

Scott, orange based units is just an example, but not in this scenario.

In the event, all American and most of the German armor was destroyed. The infantry was decimated. Right now gun crews and MGs are fighting for the objectives. Anyway, I still maintain that the American side has a great chance to win (my luck was very bad this time, and I was distracted by real life annoyances). Anyone who thinks differently may send me a setup!

Ciril

Originally posted by ciril:

Anyway, I still maintain that the American side has a great chance to win (my luck was very bad this time, and I was distracted by real life annoyances). Anyone who thinks differently may send me a setup!

Ciril

Your profile doesn't list your address. Send me the setup, either side is fine with me.