Radius of Ambush Markers?

Hi all, I just had an ambush go wrong because I think I placed the marker too close to the advancing enemy.

Can anyone please tell me (and I have searched for this on both this forum and the general forum) at what range the ambush marker "activates" for infantry? My guys were veteran Brits, under command of an HQ with good stealth and the Jerries had got to about 100 metres away without detecting them. I placed a marker where they would cross it when they left the cover of the tall pines they were in, but as soon as the turn started my guys leapt up and started firing. They are now getting pasted without causing the sort of casualties I was hoping for.

How close to my own guys should I place the marker so it doesn't go off "prematurely"?

Cheers

Smith

Is there a subtle difference in the order that orders are given? My guys were hiding, then I set the ambush marker and then issued target orders to the hiding squads, targeting the marker. They didn't pop up into kneeling position like they do when you give a normal target order, so I figured they would stay hidden. Maybe that's the problem...