CDV Anthology

Hi all

I recently bought the CDV anthology...CMBO ran fine and I am really happy with it. However, CMBB and CBAK didn't. It all works until it says 'loading 3d graphics' then that box stays on the screen with the .... flickering; black screen in background but can see labels of places. Am running XP and I deleted the Hotfix mentioned in the suggestions. Also I only have service pack 1 - PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE!!!! I dont have a graphics card as apperently, its incorporated in the processor - Its a celron 2ghz? I think - Not very technically minded. Any help would be great - Neil

You'll need to find out which 'integrated video chip' you have. The chipset on your motherboard is what the video is integrated into.

I would have thought that Intel chipsets would work (815, 845, 855 & 865 have worked in the past). I'm guessing that you may have an SiS chipset that may have problems (specifically the SiS 650 series). You may need to find a particular version of the driver to get running. While the latest driver should usually work, I've found problems with it. The Microsoft Windows Update driver does work.

Anyway... go to the Control Panel > System control panel > Hardware tab > Device Manager button > open up Display in the list and see what is listed beneath it.

SP2 for XP will not have this driver update. You need to go to Windows Update website (this is a generic pointer) and under the 'Drivers' section should be a listing for an SiS 650/740 series driver. Even if you don't have a driver installed, if it has been detected, Windows Update will offer a driver.

My testing, with an SiS 740 (the AMD equivalent for the Intel-oriented 650) indicated that it worked with the generic driver provided by Windows XP SP1. The update available from Microsoft also worked. However the latest drivers directly from SiS did not work (though I believe an earlier version may have worked, but it currently isn't up on the website I believe).

If you're willing to experiment (and the driver isn't coming up for you on the Windows Update site) you can try this v. 2.07 SiS 650/740 driver, however you'll need to register with DriverGuide.com to download it (I don't think that there is any fee associated with it other than 'giving up' your email address). To be honest I'm not sure that this particular driver works, but it may be worth a try.

Tried the driver from driverguide.com - didn't work so...I have another computer in my house with Winxp but sp2 and CMBB worked! BUT it ran really slow and some of the units didn't have any graphics!!!! For example, the soviet BT-7 light tank was white - you could only see the tracks!! Also the icon for this was a German Panther!

I'm giving up and will only play CMBO now....but thanks for all the help

The German Panther icon is usually the 'default' graphic for that box. I'm not sure, but some Soviet vehicles may have this graphic, even with the latest patch.

The 'white' BT-7 may indicate a videocard/driver that has 'maxed out' with textures. Usually this happens to terrain first though. What resolution were you running CMBB at and what videochip was in this particular computer ?

I will have to look around for which computer has my SiS driver archive on it if you would like me to email it to you. Have you checked the Windows Update website yet. Again, my testing on a SiS 740 indicated that the driver provided by Windows XP SP1 worked as did the latest update from Microsoft's Windows Update site. The SiS provided drivers, for some reason, did not work.

You can reply to this thread or email me at ian_straw@hotmail.com .

This is the same problem I am having with the Sony Viao, which has the SIS 651 video chip set.

So far the news is not good. I went to the SIS webpage http://www.sis.com/support/index.htm and downloaded their drivers, the video would not display.

I tried the Windows update webpage, (after deinstalling the drivers) and windows did not detect the missing driver. So that approach failed.

I will see what else I can find, but the solution may be to buy a video card for the AGP slot.