How to break contact ?

Use the "withdraw" command, which is immediately executed. Try to keep the enemy under some sort of fire, in order to escape more easily.

Most important, use the "withdraw" command before you get into trouble. This way, you will lose fewer troops and morale while withdrawing.

------------------

...or somefink.

Don't pull everyone out at once. If you have a platoon, retreat in overwatch just as you'd advance. Some squads hold fire while others retreat a short distance, then stop to cover the other's evac.

------------------

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Croda:

Don't pull everyone out at once. If you have a platoon, retreat in overwatch just as you'd advance. Some squads hold fire while others retreat a short distance, then stop to cover the other's evac.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Croda, is right. My parents told me this too. Pulling out early doesn't always work.

Seriously, I've had platoons get routed when I retreated everyone at once.

Think ahead and drop smoke and HE on the enemy. This should get his head down (Note:not too close or you guys will be eatin dirt too) and give you the ability to break free. On-board (as opposed to outboard..sorry couldn't resist) mortars work best as they bring fire down immediately.

I've been in the US Military. Covering fire and smoke are the best options...realistically. Move short distances as well. Pop smoke, sprint a short distance to cover, hit the dirt, crawl to more cover. If you have fire support (mortars, tanks, etc.) suppress the enemy with that unit. Use another infantry unit to suppress with direct overwatching fires if possible.

If the unit is alone, smoke, run and crawl.

One thing missing in this whole Platoon based infantry warfare is the ability of those ground troops to carry smoke. I too was on active duty and smoke grenades where a hot item. Keep in mind though, the bullets continue to move through the smoke easily, but you can at least cover your route. Same for tanks, Most of the time if my tankers would fire one more round at the last known position of the enemy vehicle I would have much higher kill ratios.

Keep you mortar teams close so they can put smoke on your troops position of forward of them.