Extreme Turn Limit

Is the variable turn limit really random? Or is it just always maximum? I'm playing the "Long Day's March" scenario (6 x 15 turn battles) as the scratch defenders, and so far I'm 4 battles in and EVERY one has blown out to 19 or 20 rounds. There are no flags in contention, and most of the time at the 15-turn limit there is only a bit of sporadic fire going on.

How in the hell is 20 turns equal to 15 turns plus "a maximum of 25%" anyway?

And over the course of the six battles, I will have played an extra 25-30 rounds, or basically an extra 1.5 - 2 whole extra battles.

This seems manifestly imbalanced, especially in a scenario where the open terrain and assets favour the attacker from the start.

I have seen it go either way. One op I am testing now as the attackers I have not got more than 2 additional turns and it is on the 3rd battle.

Dont worry, you have got a lot of space to fall back into anyhow <G>.

WWB

Ahh yes, but how do I know that I have space and good terrain to fall back on? One of the "unrealistic" things (yes, I know, it's a game) about operations, is that as a defending commander, you never know what terrain is behind you until you get pushed into it and get a look when the next map comes through. And how many maps are there? So you have a tendency to defend what you've got perhaps over-tenaciously.

I'm more wondering why the "up to 25% and flags in contention" rule doesn't seem to be ever applied in my example. 20 turns in a 15-turn battle is plus 33%.