Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Screen flickering

I've have a Gainward-5900FX-Ultra-1600-Golden- sample-256mb with nvidia 53.04 drivers,CMBO,CMBB,work fine but my screen flickers on and off for a second now and then,my monitor refresh rate is at 85MHZ

had it at optimal(in which I don't know what refresh rate that is)I brought down or up to 85MHZ

my screen reso is at 1280x960,my monitor is a SONY

(DELL)M991-Trinitron when it's on 85MHZ it doesn't do it as much,got AA at 6X,and ani at 4x,

do I need to lower it or is there a problem,OS

Win-98-SE-P-111-1.2 gig-asus-tua-266-1-gig-DDR-PC

2100-WD-HD-120-gig-8-mb-cache,is my card to powerful,drivers-etc,Thank You. :D :eek:

Cheers

TufenHuden

When you say the screen 'flickers' is this just a noticeable refresh of the screen or are you talking about the monitor blanking out (to black) and then coming back quickly ? If so, is there a 'snap' or 'crackle' sound associated with each blanking of the screen ?

If you're just talking about a noticeable refresh within CMAK, it may just be the refresh rate you've selected (lower than 85Hz). Deleting your Prefs file and reselecting your resolution should cure this.

You said this:are you talking about the monitor blanking out (to black and coming back on ,and yes that's what is

happening,only on desktop,during game play on CMBO/CMBB no it doesn't,CMAK I just got today and havn't install it yet,what does optimal refresh rate mean in MHZ terms or what is it running,but at 85MHZ it doesn't do it as often,but for me nvidia's 53.04's are working well for me CMBO/CMBB

will let you know if CMAK runs well,the Demo does

so hopefully full version does,Thank You- :D ...

The 53.04 drivers should work OK for CMAK. They still have problems with antialiasing and white text, but the Alt-Tab workaround should be OK.

I couldn't quite understand your reply. You are getting a momentary blanking of the screen on just the desktop, but not within CMBO/CMBB ?

"Optimal refresh" can be different values based on the videocard and monitor (and it's a setting that exists in Win9x and maybe WinME, but not Win2K or XP to my knowledge). It isn't an universal fixed value, but often it is the highest refresh rate available to both the videocard and monitor at a particular resolution. Usually from that same drop down dialog in the Display control panel you can manually select a refresh rate.

The refresh rate set in the Display control panel however isn't necessarily what CM will be using. During the resolution selection process you'll be offered different refresh rates at each resolution (some of which may not display on your monitor, depending on its capabilities). Once you've selected a resolution and its corresponding refresh rate, this is what CM will use until you either delete the Prefs file or you reduce the desktop resolution below what you have CM set to use.