How to kill pillboxes?

Hi!

How do you kill pillboxes? The only reliable way I and my friends with whom I use to play CM:BO have found is to assault the thing with infantry. Which costs lots of time and turns the Allied infantry into targets for the German artillery and dug in infantry. Whenever we assault the pillboxes with tanks, the Allied losses are inacceptably high, often the pillbox destroys 6 or 8 attackers. Using artillery has proven to be futile, either these stupid bunkers are invulnerable or they are never hit. So what do you do if you cannot avoid a pillbox?

Look in this very forum, on this page, for a thread styled "Anthology of useful posts", and see if there's one there about "killing pillboxes". If not, just do a search in the "Tips and tricks" forum for "pillbox". This topic has been discussed dozens of times and you'll have no problem finding treatment of it.

Best idea is probably to use MANY tanks, but the crucial idea is to use TWO GROUPS: move a few into sight on lets say the LEFT side of it, either hunt then reverse or do shoot/scoot. AFter they get their few shots in, they retreat, right around when the RIGHT side tanks move fwd, so the PB AT cannon has to traverse over while you're getting pot-shots in from 2, 3, 4, 982 tanks whatever. Then pull them back, advance the left side, rinse repeat 'till the PB is dead.

Other ideas:

Offmap smoke mission to blind it while you get outside of it's firing arc.

Costly infantry assault thru the defenses that support the PB. Bazookas can sometimes punch thru the side of it.

Don't even bother w/ artillery, even CMBO's 14" battleship guns won't get it done reliably, if ever.

[ November 05, 2002, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they are concrete bunkers. They should be hard to take out and death to deal with frontally. That was sort of the purpose of them. Best to find a way around them. Then satchel charge, AP or bazooka to the rear door with do the job.

Seems like they are harder to take out frontally with AP in CMBB and well that should be.

Depending on the moral of the folks inside the bunker, it usually takes between 2-4 shots to get them to hunker down and not shoot back. Once you have done this, you can take your time peppering it with all kinds of HE.

In order to get those 2-4 shots though, you'll probably want to stack the deck in your favor. Don't engage them with tanks one at a time. Wheel your tanks into position and engage en masse. He will get a shot or two off at you, but with a little luck you'll be raining HE down on him. 60 seconds of that and he'll be screaming for mercy.

If you're using tanks for the job, DO NOT engage from only one point, use two or more groups that move in and out of LOS, taking a few shots then retreating, to make the Pillbox do the "dance of the traverse"- make it keep pivoting left, then right, then left, then right,etc trying to engage your tanks which keep playing dodge...until you kill it. see my post above.

For MG pillboxes, which seem like easy targets for tanks, beware that some evil ppl (ahem, redwolf) like to put nasty toys like 37mm AA auto-cannons to cover the pillbox from smaller caliber/high ROF tanks which at least in CMBO were the best Pillbox killers. I haven't faced them in CMBB but from waht others have said it sounds like the small caliber rounds don't to the job as well for CMBB, which seems accurate.