Advance to Contact - Techniques?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monte99:

I don't think it's wise to write off ANY force, even split squads, as a cost of finding out where the enemy is. In this game you already know roughly where he is: in the direction of the victory flags. You also have an absolutely reliable map and a pretty good idea of his firepower. This is before you ever make your first move.

Casualties are inevitable, but for me it's important to minimize them. I don't like giving the enemy a free shot at anything. The best way to advance is to make sure every element has a modicum of cover and/or covering fire. Sneaking around a lot before the main engagement is, for me, generally a waste of time and assets.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's important to you to minimize causalties, you might want to learn some good recon habits.

smile.gif

Some of this is "gamey" In real life you very rarely have access to good information on the ground you are about to move over. A commander will attempt to scout a route, Patrol forces can also be used to trigger an ambush, but in real life it typically involves casualties. The reason Lts., last as little as 10 seconds in combat is that the standard practice if the commander is in doubt is the send the "Junior Call Sign Forward" to see what will happen. (Been there, done that)

In real life the clock runs both faster and slower then a game. Even in Chance Encounter there is reference to this type of thing. The reality is that you trade lives for information, lives for space and lives for time, whether attacking or retreating.