Request for re-assignment.............

Dear Lt general,

Please re-assign me to a postion as infantery batallion commander without any tanks under my command. Even after studying the literature on tank warfare on Squad level, reading incredible posts on the marvelous Battlefront.com forum on panzer tactics, having commanded the most technical advanced tanks in many PBEM/TCPIP/against AI battles in this war I still SUCK at commanding tanks.

Here an example of my unability, it is from my latest PBEM game. After the first little firefights from advancing infantery the feared Churchill tank was spotted. it directly moved behind cover. I had a JagdPanther under my command, which was, as requested, a veteran in the hope the accuracy and speed of fire would be slightly better then a regular. Having a 88 mm long barreld gun (on of the best AT guns produced in the war imho), being a veteran, having a sloped relative strong frontal armor, I was hoping to have a chance against the churchill. I moved reverse out of my hiding position and had the Jagdpanter move in to a frontal attacking position towards the churchill (which was still under cover). re thinking all my previous experiences and posts I read on Pnazer tactics I cleared out first all AT guns which woul dhave LOS on the Jagpanther. After this my Jagd panther moved up under the HUNT command. The Churchill was still hiding at +/- 700 to 800 mtr.when my panzer came out of his hiding position to my surpirse the churchill drove out of his, not towards me but to the right...I had a perfect side/flank shot at this colosal Churchill, he was buttoned down. My veteran crew aimed...and had the first shot. a miss shot, I saw the impact crater 50 mtr behind the churchill. The Churchill was now alarmed, swung his fast turret, towards my JafdPanther aimed , shot Boem...end of my Jagdpanther..in a single shot from the hip so to speak.

In my opinion I did everything correct and being aware that this kind of things happen in war, but this kind of bad luck thigs seems to happen to me all the time concerning tanks.

I therefor think it is better for the Reich not to assign any more valuable equipment under my command.

My best wishes

Screeny

Another thing to consider is that the Churchill Mz VIII fires shaped charge rounds (assuming some were issued to the unit) so that the slope of your Jagdpanther's armour has absolutely no affect on the penetrating capabilities of the HEAT round. Where you would have found your Jagdpanther to have shone would be at engagement ranges above about 800 metres since the accuracy of the Churchill Mk VIII is not particularly good at longer ranges due to its relatively low muzzle velocity.

I know, it's easier said than done to be able to engage at thoise ranges but in the example you described you were simply unlucky that your first shot missed while his initial shot found its mark. You'll probably find that it was the Churchill's only shaped charge round in it's inventory as well! smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.