Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Sound and Graphic problems with CMBB

Hi, I've got problems I never had with CMBB :

1- A sound problem :

My computer don't play all the sounds on the battlefield or frequently interrupt them. For example, I see an explosion but I don't hear the it, or I see a squad firing but I don't have any sound, while other fights are continuing around.

2- A graphical problem :

Even si the horizon is put on "illimited" some graphics of the terrain disappear when I'm 700m far from them like Buildings, walls, etc ...

Please help me BTS and solve those problems

Regards

Paulus

Do you mean that your are having problems with CMBB that you didn't with CMBO ?

Have you changed anything recently with any of your drivers or have you installed any other software recently (including OS patches, etc.) ?

What soundcard and videocard do you have and what driver versions do you have installed ? Which version of Windows are you running (I assume that you're on a PC) ?

Sound disappearing may be due to some sound drivers. I've seen such things happen (outside of CM) with the SB Live series of cards. If the sound is too 'transient' it may not play. Do you have 'ambient' (background) sound on ?

I'm not sure what would correct the Horizon issue. This may be a limiting factor of the amount of VRAM or which videochip you have. What are your settings for 'trees' and 'terrain' (sparse to extreme settings) ?

oops yes I mean that I've got problems I don't have with CMBO (I play both on my computer)

My computer is like I bought it I never changed anything on it. It's PIV 1.5Ghz

I think I have SB 64 on my computer. I have Windows XP.

For graphic problems I can change the trees and terrain settings I still have the same problem ...

Well if you have the Sound Blaster PCI 64 then you can download this driver update (12/19/2002) (if it isn't this particular card, then don't install this driver). I have no idea if it will help with the lack of sound for some events.

What videocard do you have in your computer and what resolution do you run at ? I believe that the terrain 'disappearing' is based on a combination of CM's Horizon and terrain 'density' settings in conjuction with the amount of video memory that CM 'sees' for your video card. These three factors, only two of which you can manually adjust, will affect when terrain elements disappear. There may be little that you can do if you've maxed out the two user adjustable settings in CM. A video card with more video memory may help, but I'm not sure.

Which particular GeForce2 do you have, is is an MX400, GTS, etc. ? How much video memory do you have on the card 32 or 64Mb ?

Which driver version do you have for the GeForce ? Windows XP comes with v. 12.xx as default (which will result in white text being 'invisible' in the 2D screens). I suggest downloading and installing v. 30.82, since that version has the least problems with CM (whereas newer versions have problems with text and FSAA again).

If you have a newer driver than the default 12.40's that Windows XP has, then I suggest uninstalling them first, rebooting Windows and have it redetect the card (hopefully installing the 12.40's) and then installing the 30.82's (after Windows finishes installing the 12.40's, which will probably require a reboot first).

[ February 24, 2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I'm not familiar with that audio card. From what I can tell you're using an 'AC'97 Audio Codec' - it's an onboard sound chip that utilizes the CPU and software to perform several of its functions.

You may want to go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and check for newer drivers (which might be the 'SoundMax' series). You might want to consider getting a full-blown soundcard, such as a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (I'm not sure if your motherboard might have problems with some of the Sound Blaster Live/Audigy cards).

Tell me what motherboard you have and I may find a link. The actual OEM manufacturer of the chip and software doesn't offer it online to non-OEM accounts (i.e. - the general public). You need to go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and see what the latest driver is from them.

It's also possible to get the latest driver from other websites of manufacturers who use the same audio chip, but who may have licensed a newer version of the drivers.

'AC-Link' is just some goofy, generic marketing renaming of AC'97 that some manufacturers have used. It just signifies that your motherboard has an on-board audio codec (a chip that performs part of the audio process). The AC'97 specification has a hardware audio codec do part of the job of producing sound, while some software drivers force the CPU to do the other part. A full-blown soundcard doesn't put as much strain on the CPU since it has dedicated hardware doing the job that the software portion of AC'97 has the CPU performing.

AC-Link in this case does not specify the actual driver or codec chip that is installed on your motherboard (that's how helpful that name is). You need to look at your documentation, motherboard CD or best yet, look at the motherboard manufacturer's website for the latest audio driver. The SoundMax series of drivers created by Analog Devices (ADI) is a popular set of AC'97 drivers (apparently some codecs are simple copies of the ADI hardware). However these drivers may not work with your particular AC'97 audio setup. That's why you need to go to the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Removing the audio drivers and possibly disabling the 'onboard sound' in the CMOS/BIOS setup (and maybe even change a jumper - not common anymore) would allow you to put in a full-blown audio card.

The latest NVidia drivers cause MORE problems with CM, so you've taken a step back by installing that version. While the 41.09's will work, you will run into limitations using FSAA, etc.

If you want more help from me you'll need to tell me what model motherboard you have (as in 'Asus A7V266', etc.).

Actually 'Intel i845' is the motherboard chipset and not the manufacturer's model of the motherboard (which might be an 'ASUS P4B', etc.). Anyway, the Intel chipset info is a good start.

I don't see it making much of a difference, but you can download and install the Intel Chipset Utility (INF Update Installer). I'm not sure what benefits it may have over what is built-into XP, but it is worth installing.

I don't think that there will be much that you can change about the horizon in CMBB at this point. You can check your motherboard CMOS/BIOS setup settings for AGP to make sure that your 'AGP Aperture' is set to 128Mb or higher (if you can adjust this value). 'AGP Fast Writes' and 'AGP 4X' are also two settings you can check (though again, they may not be present to adjust or may already be the default). The only other thing I can think of off-hand is to adjust the 'PCI Texture Memory' Control Panel > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced... button > GeForce 2 tab > Additional Properties... button > Direct3D Settings tab > PCI Texture Memory Size > adjust this value to around 128Mb and see if that helps or not (it may not do anything).

For more info on your onboard sound however I'm going to need to know that actual manufacturer model of your motherboard. Or if it is a name brand system, then the system model (i.e. - Dell Dimension 2350, etc.).

[ February 27, 2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

You're getting closer. Now I need the model of that NEC computer, such as PowerMate 2000. You should be able to find this info on a sticker on the back of the computer (possibly near the power supply).

For NEC computers I'll probably have to know what CPU and speed you have too (i.e. - Pentium III 600MHz). EDIT -- I wasn't paying attention, you mentioned that you have a P4 1.5GHz.

Here's the NEC support page for desktops. There is a different one for Packard Bell computers (which got rebranded to NEC when they were bought out).

[ February 28, 2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

• 2 weeks later...

Find your computer manual first, maybe it will tell you the model number and other information about the soundchip. Opening the computer up may not tell you a whole lot unless you know what to look for.

So there's no indication as to what model NEC computer you have on any sticker on the outside of the computer ?

I don't know if one of the 'latest sound cards' will work properly with your setup or not. Generally they should be OK (SoundBlaster Audigy, Audigy 2 or a TurtleBeach/Voyetra Santa Cruz) and I guess that they may resolve your 'disappearing audio' problem - or possibly not.