Order of Battle Question (11th Panzer, 1941)

hi,

this site here

http://www.freeport-tech.com/wwii/011_germany/41_organ_army/41_div_pz-11.html

shows 11th panzer with a tank regiment of '2 battalions,' each with 2 light tank companies and a medium tank company.

i'm just wondering if the 38t is a light tank or medium.

in other words, would a scenario representing the 11th panzer in say july of 1941 be more 'realistic' using a combination of pz ii (light) and 38t (med), or with 38t (light) and pz iii (med)?

also, were the 'mechanized infantry' battalions within the same regiment/brigades in the panzer divisions all outfitted with spw 251/1 or were there a lot of trucks involved... say only 1 battalion out of 4 in the typical division having spws?

finally, does anyone know specifically which axis divisions were fielding the somua tanks and whatnot?

thanks in advance

The organization of Panzer Regiments varied wildly depending on vehicle availability --- the "average" regiment had two battalions. They usually consisted of two light tank companies, each of three PzIII platoons, and one PzII (recon) platoon, and one medium tank company with three PzIV platoons.

In early '41, the PzIV's would be D, E or maybe F1's. The PzIII's would be half E (37mm) and half G/H (50L42). Some divisions used the Czech tanks, either 35(t)'s or 38(t)'s --- in this case they had two companies of three Pz38(t) platoons and one company of three PzIV platoons. All "standard" Panzer companies supposedly had four platoons, but in practice three rapidly became the norm, and the PzII's were quickly relegated to battalion or regimental recon.

The Rifle troops all rode in trucks apart from a very small number in HT's. Generally only one company in the first battalion of the 1st regiment had 251/1 halftracks --- some favored units had the whole 1st battalion in halftracks, however.

(Edited to make meself clearer).

[ November 13, 2002, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: von Lucke ]

I have seen AARs and tank readyness statements of 12th Panzer in which the 38(t) is referred to as a 'III'. So you have to be careful if you look at these, because while it may say e.g. 'III (k)' it does not necessarily mean 'Panzer III 50L42' but 'Panzer 389(t)', which makes a bit of a difference.

Originally posted by manchildstein II:

...shows 11th panzer with a tank regiment of '2 battalions,' each with 2 light tank companies and a medium tank company.

i'm just wondering if the 38t is a light tank or medium.

11.Panzer Division (15.Panzer-Regiment) was armed with German tanks. 12. Panzer Division (29.Panzer-Regiment) was Czech armed.

15.Panzer-Regiment had 2 battalions of 4 companies each (3 leichte & 1 mittlere).

leichte Panzerkompanie

-Kompanie Trupp: 2x PzKwIII

le. Zug: 5x PzKwII*

1. Zug: 5x PzKwIII

2. Zug: 5x PzKwIII

3. Zug: 5x PzKwIII

mittlere Panzerkompanie

-Kompanie Trupp: 2x PzKwIV

le. Zug: 5x PzKwII*

1. Zug: 4x PzKwIV

2. Zug: 4x PzKwIV

also, were the 'mechanized infantry' battalions within the same regiment/brigades in the panzer divisions all outfitted with spw 251/1 or were there a lot of trucks involved... say only 1 battalion out of 4 in the typical division having spws?
11.Panzer Division (11.Schützen Brigade) had one company equipped with SPW 251/1. That company was 1.Kp./I./110.SR

finally, does anyone know specifically which axis divisions were fielding the somua tanks and whatnot?
The only Panzer formation I can find that was officially equipped with French tanks on 22 June 1941 was Panzer-Abteilung 211. This was an independent Panzer-Abteilung assigned to XXXVI Armeekorps (Finland)