Mystery numbers - 'lil bit OT

Give us the numbers in context and I can help.

The Service Number (also known as a Regimental Number) was prefixed with a letter denoting the Military District he was recruited from.

A = Military District 1

B = MD 2

etc.

Canada went up to M (MD 13) skipping 9 and 10, I believe. A was Ontario, L (MD 12) was Saskatchewan, M (MD 13) was Alberta, etc. My dad's service number was L554088.

The two terms are used interchangeably - do you mean to say the nubmers are different? Service Publications puts out a guide to WW II service numbers - if you give me the number I can tell you which district and unit that number was allocated to.

Generally a soldier kept the first number assigned to him, even once he changed units.

Officers were identified by name and rank only, they did not get numbers.

Serial Numbers, on the other hand, were used to designate units. When a unit was mobilized for the Canadian Active Service Force, that unit was given a Serial Number - the format was very different from Service/Regimental Numbers and may be what is being referred to in the documents, but I won't know until seeing a specific example.

[ August 20, 2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

Service number - B-52864

the other number - B-610471

on some forms the SN is in the regimental number box, and on others it is the other number. I know that he changed units from the 1st Hussars to the RCEME, but he kept the same SN after the change.

The first number is from the block assigned to No. 2 Dist Depot, Royal Cnadian Ordnance Corps - no doubt where he was enlisted.

Second number corresponds to No. 23 Basic Training Centre. Probably where he did his basic before going off to his unit.