Using Smoke saved the Day !

I had the Smoke turned off,because I thought the game was running too slowly.I realized it was my damn Anti-virus that needed to be shut down. Anyway, I was playtesting a scenario I am working on and I had a dilemma.I needed to cross a bridge but there was a German MKIV in the road shooting my troops and tanks up anytime I neared the Bridge.I realized I had smoke and I decided to give it a go. Damn!. The smoke enveloped the MKIV, letting me get a Jumbo and 5 squads across..then once it started to dissipate my M10 whalloped it! I now realize how important it really is.If used right it might save the day.I wonder if it was used by Armor that often..?

Mortars also normally can fire smoke rounds and they are tallied seperately from standard rounds. Ive found it tricky to use it consistently, the crewmen seem to want to use the HE much more than smoke and often fire one smoke then go back to HE.

Need more practice to be able to blanket and area with all available smoke so that it is effective.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Los:

"but I'm always leary of wasting my precious arty rounds on smoke."

You start the scenario with x amount of HE and x amount of smoke roudns so calling in a smoke mission does not miraculously convert "precious" HE to smoke.

Los<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For off-map artillery??? I've never seen a separate accounting.

Michael

I dont believe it is counted..I have a scenario where the AI blasted me with Smoke. I guess it felt I had too much firepower and was trying to block my LOS. I tried to tone down the AI's usage by reducing the number of rounds.There is no number for smoke rounds.If the off map arty uses Smoke it reduces the total number of HE rounds.So it is very costly to use.

Concur that in my experience, off-board arty gets nrounds, which can be smoke or HE depending on what command you use to call in the mission. Los might have (probably was) referring to ON-map firers of smoke (mortars and guns).

As far as shifting from smoke back to HE with on-map firers, I think Steve said that when given an on-map smoke targetting command, the unit will fire smoke until it "hits the target," which I guess means gets a smoke round within some small radius of the point targetted. So to lay a proper smoke screen you'd likely need several firers, since the smoke dissipates so quickly.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley