Plea for flails

I'm working on my first historical scenario, the attacks around Carpiquet airfield by the Canadians early in July. This attack was led by funnies (flails and crocs) borrowed from the British to clear the way. Unfortunately, the first snag I ran into was the lack of flail tanks which were used. This area is big and flat with literally kilometres of flat, unobstructed terrain. To accurately recreate this assault against the dug-in SS, it would be very nice to have these unique vehicles available.

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

If the flail tanks operate at or one half of walking speed, it seems that there is enough room on the clock to me. On a maxie map scenario under design, I found loss of transport, that forced a hike on the troopers still enabling them to participate with some effectiveness. At walking speed ground pounders can traverse a good part of the maximum length available on the map.

Without measuring foot speed, and just speculating, at a rather low speed of 60 meters a minute, that would be 600 meters in 10 minutes and 3600 meters in an hour. At the two hour limit, one could go 7200 meters.

This is a lot more than the length of a maximum sized map. A flail could knock off a lot of mined tiles at 30 meters per minute.

I am sure if my speculation is off base that better informed persons will certainly be heard.

I have found some but not all of the limitations placed on game elements based on time available to be unnecessarily limiting. A 2 hour scenario has a lot of leeway for some things to be done, especially considering the limited space available for these things to take place. My feeling is that when in doubt, give way to making more available to scenario design and less to restriction. In other words leave it to the designer with in reason. If he misuses his tools, then the players will be the judge.

Bobbaro, that sounds reasonable, a flail making about 20-30 meters/minute.

I'm still new to this, only run small scenarios, giving most of the time to pbem, so I was mentally locked in 30-minute max scenarios wink.gif

This may be nit-picking, but isn't "funnies" the Shermans which lay down a carpet for others to use. Sherman-flails and Crocodiles (flame-Churchills) not being funnies?

[This message has been edited by Stefan Fredriksson (edited 08-03-2000).]

Thanks for the responses. Mainly, the reason I want the flails in is because one can't accurately model this particular battle without them. They were integral to the tactical execution of the operation as a whole.

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

Thanks for the responses. Mainly, the reason I want the flails in is because one can't accurately model this particular battle without them. They were integral to the tactical execution of the operation as a whole.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right; the standard British method for laying a bridge across a river protected by mines required flail tanks.

Henri

• 1 month later...

I was interested in using Flails in a scenario I was designing. The reference for the scenario was a discussion of the battle in a book. Flails were described as moving at 1.5 miles per hour while they were "flailing".

They are probably not included in the game due to the animation required. The rotating drum, chains flying and the enormous amount of dust they through up.

But it would be way cool to have them in a game!