Things that make you go "hmmm.........."

Originally posted by Apache:

I'm just glad most everyone else is having problems playing as allies in this one. Thought it was just me. First few times I tried it resulted in 16 piles of smokin' tin on the field :(

I got a bit confused with the 'tutorial pages' too. I'm sure the left and right's were the wrong way round. It took almost a week to get my tanks to that left hill :rolleyes:

Exact same thing happened to me. Check the post by Cameroon in the Scenario Talk forum. There's a very helpful thread on Jaegermeister and a totally useless whining post by me.

Coffin 'Enry

Huh? Four tanks at the same time with shoot and scoot and one Tiger takes out three? Something doesn't fit here, because the Tiger ROF is not that fast, unless spread out throughout the entire turn.

Did you use the delay command? If you are going to use that tactic and use numerical superiority, you need them all to appear at the same time, shoot, and then all scoot. Take the lowest trained tank, plot it, look at its command delay, then plot the other tanks, adding delay where appropriate. Sorry if this is obvious.

It sure sounds like you just plotted "shoot and scoot" and the poor things appeared one at a time and the Tiger had a duck shoot.

Originally posted by kump:

Take the lowest trained tank, plot it, look at its command delay, then plot the other tanks, adding delay where appropriate. Sorry if this is obvious.

Kump,

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought about the effects of commad delays. I just made sure that they were all about equidistant from the ridge before the start. I suppose differing comand delays along with the ridge being uneven could have accounted for their ragged engagement.

As I said I will have to try harder.

Mind you I am still surprised at the bloody Tiger getting off three aimed shots in one turn, albeit that my tanks were close together so he didn't have much traversing to do.

Thanks again for the advice.

Smoke saved the day again for this one. Just timed it right, moved some armor off to the wooded area to the left and kept most of them on the hill in a hull down position. Once the smoke started to clear and the cats were close and unaware all hell breaks loose. The AT guns were the biggest thorne in the side however, until the 132's started raining down.

i just did a quick test with panther Gs vs is-2m44s at apx 1000 meters. when all forces were set up within site of each other, the panthers won easily. 1 panther ko'd to 4 js-2s and 1 gun damaged. when i set up the js-2s behind a hill and did the shoot and scoot command, the js-2s faired better. 3 knocked out panthers vs only 1 js-2. mind you that was only 1 test, but i think it at least shows the value of the shoot and scoot...

Better luck than I've had using the s & s. Have to mess around with it tonight.

Originally posted by zukkov:

i just did a quick test with panther Gs vs is-2m44s at apx 1000 meters. when all forces were set up within site of each other, the panthers won easily. 1 panther ko'd to 4 js-2s and 1 gun damaged. when i set up the js-2s behind a hill and did the shoot and scoot command, the js-2s faired better. 3 knocked out panthers vs only 1 js-2. mind you that was only 1 test, but i think it at least shows the value of the shoot and scoot...

like i said, it was only 1 test. and they were is-2m44s, not the ones in the scenario. anyway, i was just trying to see if the shoot and scoot would help. the panthers did fire much faster than the is-2s and i don't think they should mix it up with panthers unless they are close and get the first shot(which will hopefully be a kill). i really think the t34/85s might be a more effective cat killer point for point, depending on the terrain of course....

Originally posted by Coffin 'Enry:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kump:

Take the lowest trained tank, plot it, look at its command delay, then plot the other tanks, adding delay where appropriate. Sorry if this is obvious.

Kump,

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought about the effects of commad delays. I just made sure that they were all about equidistant from the ridge before the start. I suppose differing comand delays along with the ridge being uneven could have accounted for their ragged engagement.

As I said I will have to try harder.

Mind you I am still surprised at the bloody Tiger getting off three aimed shots in one turn, albeit that my tanks were close together so he didn't have much traversing to do.

Thanks again for the advice.</font>

Hmmm.., Pantherbait your pic of the JS-2 in my opinion is to much colored by the Jaegermeister experience.

SPOILER WARNING

In Jaegermeister (I only played it once and got a minor victory as russ -> RUNE is Scenario hero !!!!) you are in a bad position vs. the Tigers from the start. The Tigers are on higher ground and therefore in good hulldown.

Jaegermeister teaches you a thing, don't try to beat a well positioned superior weapon with inferior ones from an inferior position. And at around 1200-1500 m the Tiger-platoon is clearly superior because they have better optics, better crews, better gun (Higher ROF), and better position. I resolved the problem by sending an inf-platoon up to the Tigers to gather their attention. Worked beautifully my 2 only left JS-2 killed all (2 left) of them in two rounds.

From that moment i had space for manouver and could destroy a second Panther for the loss of one JS-2. If the game would have gone some rounds longer i surely would have destroyed the last one also.

-> If the enemy is in superior position, do not engage, but instead manouver to atleast gain an equal tac-position. (In CMBO such things rarely really were important you just only needed 4 TD for a cat no matter what, now that simple trick won't do it anymore, hehehe..).

Btw: At first i also looked in a bewildered state as my Stalins were slaughtered and taught to myself what a hell of a game, in CMBO my force would have crumbeled any opposition in no time (I knew that my charging down the slope toward the town was risky, but the result nevertheless left my speechless).

;)

Greets

Daniel

Well, actually I know all about manuveuring for postion, etc., and have been all over the map doing so smile.gif In about a dozen games of this scenario, I've always lost all of the JS's, and only ever killed one German tank with them, and this includes cranking the Soviet crew level up, hull down, shoot/scoot, etc.

Lousy luck I guess, it's really no big deal actually, just curious.

Fwiw, I replaced the JS's last night with the same number of T-34'85's.

They smoked the German armor.

Originally posted by TSword:

Hmmm.., Pantherbait your pic of the JS-2 in my opinion is to much colored by the Jaegermeister experience.

SPOILER WARNING

In Jaegermeister (I only played it once and got a minor victory as russ -> RUNE is Scenario hero !!!!) you are in a bad position vs. the Tigers from the start. The Tigers are on higher ground and therefore in good hulldown.

Jaegermeister teaches you a thing, don't try to beat a well positioned superior weapon with inferior ones from an inferior position. And at around 1200-1500 m the Tiger-platoon is clearly superior because they have better optics, better crews, better gun (Higher ROF), and better position. I resolved the problem by sending an inf-platoon up to the Tigers to gather their attention. Worked beautifully my 2 only left JS-2 killed all (2 left) of them in two rounds.

From that moment i had space for manouver and could destroy a second Panther for the loss of one JS-2. If the game would have gone some rounds longer i surely would have destroyed the last one also.

-> If the enemy is in superior position, do not engage, but instead manouver to atleast gain an equal tac-position. (In CMBO such things rarely really were important you just only needed 4 TD for a cat no matter what, now that simple trick won't do it anymore, hehehe..).

Btw: At first i also looked in a bewildered state as my Stalins were slaughtered and taught to myself what a hell of a game, in CMBO my force would have crumbeled any opposition in no time (I knew that my charging down the slope toward the town was risky, but the result nevertheless left my speechless).

;)

Greets

Daniel