Infantry and Artillery Coordination: The Real Story.

tar

Technically, I guess this should be in the CMBO folder, but since it seems relevant to various on-going discussions about command and control, as well as artillery responsiveness, I will put it here.

I ran across the following transcript of radio coordination while reading The March of the Prairie Men, a regimental history of the South Saskatchewan Regiment by Lt. Col G.B. Buchanan.

It contained the following description of action on 2-May-1945 in Germany:

On 2nd May, the battalion moved to new positions three miles south of the large cit of Oldenburg. The attack on the city was to be carried company bounds on a two company front. An extensive artillery support plan was made available but eventually not used beyond the initial opening rounds. The fire plan called for the 6th Field Regiment and a Medium Battery to softe up opposition in the barrack buildings on the outskirts of the city. The barrage opened on time, but it was quickly apparent that one gun was still shooting on the previous target crossroads where Battalion Headquarters was now located. Captain Ross, the Artillery F.O.O. crouched beside his carrier and shouted into his phone that one of the guns was short and that all fire should stop. He was talking to Lt.-Col. Dale Harris in person, and the conversation was as follows:

"Easy Able Baker to Mike Love Item, there's a gun firing right into our positions. Stop all firing. Over."

Dale-Harris: -- "Mike Love Item to Easy Able Baker -- you're coming in strength 3. Repeat that last message please -- Over."

Another shell came in and splattered dirt over everyone.

Ross: -- "Easy Able Baker -- Mike Love Item -- never mind my strength. Stop the guns. One of them is landing on us -- Over."

Dale-Harris: -- "Mike Love Item to Easy Able Baker -- Are you sure? -- Over."

Another shell hit the roof of the building bringing a shower of slates down.

Ross: -- "Yes, I'm sure -- Stop that d__n gun. -- Over."

Dale-Harris: "Mike Love Item to Easy Able Baker. Send map reference -- Over."

Ross: -- "________ the map reference -- stop that _________ fire -- Over and Out."

Two or three minutes later Ross looked up with a sickly expression on his face and said "My God, that was the Colonel I was talking to." But the fire did stop and the advance continued.

OK, admittedly this is an isolated incident, but I thought it did illustrate some of the issues of communications and coordination involved even in a very high priority situation.

Notes: Although called a "Regiment", the South Saskatchewan Regiment is actual of battalion strength. I assume it is one of those Commonwealth oddities....

F.O.O. = Forward Observation Officer

[Typos editted]

[ March 11, 2005, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: tar ]

Happened all the time - even in peacetime. I was shelled six times on the OP during training: four single 81, 1 x 105 and one battery of 155 - I never did forgive the NG battery that did that. I was somewhat hostile to them on the radio.

They scratched my M577

Oh and airforce tried to get me twice but they weren't even close.

I'm sure it did.

For me, the icing on the cake in the exchange I quoted was the request for map references....Just as it was for the FOO.

Customer Service: I'm sorry, but we can't cancel your artillery barrage until you enter your confirmation number and PIN, followed by the pound key.