E-79: a mean machine that never saw service...

e79_m.html

Can someone confirm me on this? From the little info I´ve managed to obtain, this one was on the german "drawing board" in the late stages of the war. I had never heard of it until a few days ago. It was to have the 128 mm canon that was fitted onto the Jagdtiger.

I have to say it looks kind of nasty. And that is also why I have decided that the talented vehicle modders in this forum should bring us something that they could be truly proud of... tongue.gif

My most humble regards

Gurra

Originally posted by Gurra:

Can someone confirm me on this? From the little info I´ve managed to obtain, this one was on the german "drawing board" in the late stages of the war. I had never heard of it until a few days ago. It was to have the 128 mm canon that was fitted onto the Jagdtiger.

I have to say it looks kind of nasty. And that is also why I have decided that the talented vehicle modders in this forum should bring us something that they could be truly proud of...

My most humble regards

Gurra

While an interesting looking beast, that is definitely a "paper panzer." The Germans did have plans for an 'E' series of tanks; from the E-10 through the E-100. However, the E-79 was not one of the proposed models. Furthermore, out of the 'E' series, only the E-100 was to be armed with anything in the 128mm range; some sources giving it the same gun as mounted on the proposed Maus (i.e., 128mm) and others even conjecturing a massive 170mm gun (although there are definite questions as to whether the size of the turret would be able to allow for such a deep recoil).

Another source of "paper-panzers" were the PzKW IX and PzKW X. Supposedly, these things were to include revolutionary design concepts, and the PzKW X could have possibly been armed with a turreted 128mm gun. Only two proposed drawings were created, and the drawings actually appeared in a 1944 issue of Signals- which some authorities now argue makes these tank designs really only for propoganda purposes.

As for the illustration itself, there are some overall problems with the layout of the tank versus German standards which I would argue even make this illustration even more of someone's imagination (who is not a German tank designer). Furthermore, there are a few general problems with the ambush paint scheme as well.

As for the modding- the great modders can only change the *.bmp files for existing vehicles that have developed 3d models in the game. So, it is highly unlikely to see this paper panzer in CM at anytime.