Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

British tank and vehicle unit markings in CMAK

pcelt

Many of the British tanks and vehicles have identification markings. I recognise obvious ones like the emblem of the Desert Rats but I am not sure of many of the others which appear both in the N.African and the Italian theatres.

Could anyone recommend an internet reference source which would inform about these or alternatively ,list themselves the relevant units illustrated in CMAK.

Many thanks for any info on this matter.

Many of the British tanks and vehicles have identification markings. I recognise obvious ones like the emblem of the Desert Rats but I am not sure of many of the others which appear both in the N.African and the Italian theatres.

Could anyone recommend an internet reference source which would inform about these or alternatively ,list themselves the relevant units illustrated in CMAK.

Many thanks for any info on this matter.

Michael---Thanks very much for that--certainly very helpful as far as the Div. emblems are concerned----very helpful site for background info altogether---just added it to "my favourites"

But in CMAK I have noticed many other emblems on vehicles and tanks----could these be regimental or brigade emblems ? I'd like to be able to track all these down if possible.

Incidentally, who was responsible for the excellent CMAK graphics in the CM team ? Perhaps they might be so good as to indicate the unit emblems which were depicted in the game.

--A request please--- :rolleyes:

[ January 10, 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: pcelt ]

Michael---Thanks very much for that--certainly very helpful as far as the Div. emblems are concerned----very helpful site for background info altogether---just added it to "my favourites"

But in CMAK I have noticed many other emblems on vehicles and tanks----could these be regimental or brigade emblems ? I'd like to be able to track all these down if possible.

Incidentally, who was responsible for the excellent CMAK graphics in the CM team ? Perhaps they might be so good as to indicate the unit emblems which were depicted in the game.

--A request please--- :rolleyes:

[ January 10, 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: pcelt ]

The non-divisional insignia is usually the battalion/regimental/brigade markings. There was a rather standar system for identifying divisional units. Every unit had a number in white on a colored box. For example a white 51 in a red box was the marking for the 1st regiment in an Armoured Bgde of an Armoured Division. A white 55 in a red box was the 1st battalion in the 1st Infantry brigade of an Infantry division, a 77 in a red and dark blue box was the marking for the divisional AT Regiment in an Armoured Division etc.

However sometimes units had their own numbers, which weren't the same used in the standard system, and used additional unit symbols.

The turret markings were squadron markings: A diamond was used for the HQ squadron, a triangle for the "A" squadron, a square for the "B" one and finally a circle dor the "C" squadron. First regiment had their squadron markings in red, 2nd in yellow, 3rd in blue, the motorized battalion in green and unbrigaded units had them in white

[ January 10, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Fernando ]

The non-divisional insignia is usually the battalion/regimental/brigade markings. There was a rather standar system for identifying divisional units. Every unit had a number in white on a colored box. For example a white 51 in a red box was the marking for the 1st regiment in an Armoured Bgde of an Armoured Division. A white 55 in a red box was the 1st battalion in the 1st Infantry brigade of an Infantry division, a 77 in a red and dark blue box was the marking for the divisional AT Regiment in an Armoured Division etc.

However sometimes units had their own numbers, which weren't the same used in the standard system, and used additional unit symbols.

The turret markings were squadron markings: A diamond was used for the HQ squadron, a triangle for the "A" squadron, a square for the "B" one and finally a circle dor the "C" squadron. First regiment had their squadron markings in red, 2nd in yellow, 3rd in blue, the motorized battalion in green and unbrigaded units had them in white

[ January 10, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Fernando ]

Fernando---All excellent stuff. You are greatly extending my knowledge and understanding of this fascinating field.

There still remains,however, the range of intriguing pictorial emblems on front or rear of various vehicles/tanks (like the "desert rat " emblem )which appear on vehicles/tanks in both Desert and Italian theatre battles.

Is there a source for this info from internet, ref.book or from any of the game artists/ graphics experts.

Thanks again for past and any future help and contributions to identifying these pictorial emblems.

Cheers

Fernando---All excellent stuff. You are greatly extending my knowledge and understanding of this fascinating field.

There still remains,however, the range of intriguing pictorial emblems on front or rear of various vehicles/tanks (like the "desert rat " emblem )which appear on vehicles/tanks in both Desert and Italian theatre battles.

Is there a source for this info from internet, ref.book or from any of the game artists/ graphics experts.

Thanks again for past and any future help and contributions to identifying these pictorial emblems.

Cheers

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by pcelt:

I have the insignia of the 25th Army Tank Brigade set up on a page. See:

http://www.geocities.com/vqpvqp/nih/Articles/25thATB.html

I also have insignia of several other Tank/Armoured Brigades. Is this is what you are looking for? If so I will assmeble the material for you should you so wish.

Regards, Gerry

Originally posted by pcelt:

I have the insignia of the 25th Army Tank Brigade set up on a page. See:

http://www.geocities.com/vqpvqp/nih/Articles/25thATB.html

I also have insignia of several other Tank/Armoured Brigades. Is this is what you are looking for? If so I will assmeble the material for you should you so wish.

Regards, Gerry