Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

cmx2 1:1 ammo distribution in squads

Since squads will be able to break up into component parts, the issue of carrying other weapons ammo from within the squad should be addressed. here is a typical example:

Ammunition wise, each Bren was provided with twenty five magazines, one with the gun and the rest carried in two boxes holding a dozen each. In the Rifle Section the boxes were not taken into action. Instead, each of the six men in the Rifle Group carried two magazines, and each of the three men in the Gun Group carried four. Two magazines could be held in a single webbing pouch. It was quickly found that the only real flaw concerned the magazines, which if loaded to capacity would jam. The maximum load was therefore reduced to twenty eight rounds each, 700 rounds for a full complement of magazines. This was rounded up to 1000 rounds with loose ammunition, carried by its vehicle, or distributed as an extra fifty rounds for each man in the Rifle Group.
The US Squad typically carried its BAR ammo within its BAR team. The Germans had everyone swathed in belts. Can the 1:1 modeling manage this?

Originally posted by Wartgamer:

Can the 1:1 modeling manage this?

What aspect of the above example did you want to see modeled? The difficulty with the jamming magazines or the difference between Allied and German soldiers and the ammo they carried?

Setting up routines for virtual soldiers and their carrying capacities would be fairly easy if that is your question. Individuals might disagree with the carrying capacity of the average soldier, but I think a general consensus could easily be reached. In reality I am sure soldiers find any number of ways to strap extra ammo to their persons. Modeling all of this ingenuity in a game would have to be done in a very generalized way, but it could be done.

Some flexibily here would be appreciated. I would love to no end the ability to model, say, the specialized landing teams used on D-Day. I would be asking for a bit much here, but it would be cool to have my guys equipped with wire cutters and bangalores.

Cheers

Paul

[ March 23, 2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: jacobs_ladder2 ]

If a BREN gun was detached from it own squad, as in real life, its ammo would be seperated. IRL, the BREN loader could reload some of his own mags.

Don't see why not, if that is the degree of detail we will se in CMx2.

A related issue is firepower and ammo 'loads'. Will the game track bullets? Full Magazines? Belts?
That I can't say, but it would interesting to know how much detail we will see. Would be kinda cool for the game to keep track of magazines and belts and things. MGs would need to be reloaded and such. Cooler still would be to have MGs overheating, but now I'm drifting into fantasy land. Lol.

Cheers

Paul

If a BREN gun was detached from it own squad, as in real life, its ammo would be seperated. IRL, the BREN loader could reload some of his own mags.

A related issue is firepower and ammo 'loads'. Will the game track bullets? Full Magazines? Belts?

The Bren Gunner carried 4 mags, possibly a fifth on the gun. The Number Two - who always stayed with the Bren Gunner - carried eight mags using the Utility Pouches shown on my website in addition to the Basic Pouches on his 37 web. The third man in the Bren Team would fetch Bren mags from the rest of the squad as necessary and where/when possible.