German unit info help needed

4th Indian Division, by the looks of it. I had a look-see last night, and the Indian division's history fails to give the information for the opponents. The same for any other English language website I could find, and there is nothing in German that I could find either.

Dook, if you have access to it, hunt out the relevant volume of "The Mediterranean and the Middle East" by Playfair and Molony. I think it'll be vol. VI. They are pretty good about noting the forces on either side of the pointy bit.

Story about the Cameron Highlanders in Tuscany indicating that 1st Para may have been their opponent, but it is avery tenuous link.

12th Frontier Force Regiment showing Campriano as an individual battle honour.

Online history of 4th Indian, section on Campriano

This gives at least a list of the divisions opposite the Indian divisions (4th and 10th):

n point of fact the German divisions in front of the Indians were fought out. Fifth Mountain Division and Three Hundred and Fifth Division had been reinforced over and over again by the "cannabalizing" process. One Hundred and Fourteenth Division was two thirds under strength, and Forty-Fourth Division was estimated to muster no more than eight hundred rifles.
The list is probably not correct though. There was no 114. Infantrydivision. 305. Infanteriedivision is listed on Lexikon der Wehrmacht as being at Pescara (although elements of it could have been elsewhere, theoretically). 5th Mountain could have been there, and 44. Grenadierdivision definitely was.

OOB for 44. GD

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />... One Hundred and Fourteenth Division was two thirds under strength, ...

The list is probably not correct though. There was no 114. Infantrydivision. ...</font>

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm working on a scenario/operation portraying the 3rd Royal Bn/12th Frontier Force Regiment's attack on 24 July 1944. I have a fairly detailed OOB for the Indians and a sketch map, but nothing on the Germans other than a rough count of men and approximate number of MGs.

Originally posted by Andreas:

5th Mountain could have been there

I had a looksee too last night, found the same sites. But, likewise, no definitive answer.

I know parts of the 5th Gebirgsjäger (Gebirgsjäger Reg. 100) was moving north along the east coast at the time, fighting in Rimini later in the month. But then again, can't say where the rest of the division was at the time.

How about the PzG Div. 29? Weren’t they around, and the PzG Div. 90?

Interesting how little is noted about the enemy in the AAR's. One would have thought that it would be quite interesting, for many a reason...

M.

Originally posted by Mattias:

How about the PzG Div. 29? Weren’t they around, and the PzG Div. 90?

90 - unlikely, they were in the Western Alps in August, so probably disengaging.

29, much more likely, they are in the Firenze/Abbruzzo area at this time, in Rimini only in October.