Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBO Crashing

chrisp

I've just got the game CMBO and what I've seen of it is great smile.gif .

However I have a problem in that every so often when I click the GO! button the computer player starts "thinking" (the progess bar gets about 20% of the way across) and then the game crashes - it closes and I am returned to the Windows desktop (the monitor 'clicks' and the graphics mode resets since I'm using a higher res for the game than the desktop). This doesn't always happen and there seems to be no pattern to it at all.

I've tried reinstalling the latest nVidia drivers (45.23) and also directX 9.0, but no luck. The graphics card is an nVidia GeForce MX 460 and the CPU is Pentium 4 2.00 GHz with 768Mb RAM.

I've got no idea why this is happening and it's making the game unplayable. Can anyone out there help?

I can provide more system info if required.

Thanks

Chris

PS. All the other games I have on the PC seem to work fine (Civ III, Mechwarrior 4, Frontline Attack (!), ...)

[ October 12, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: chrisp ]

I'm not sure if there is a simple solution for your problem or not. This may be a case of overheating or some device (video or CPU) drawing too much current. However these issues will usually force the computer to either lock up or reboot.

When the 'Computer is Thinking' the CPU is being taxed at that moment. It's possible that the number of calculations being processed are temporarily overheating the CPU. A way to test this is to have a battle with as few 'guns' as possible (AT guns, tanks, etc.) and limit it to just infantry and see how often this problem occurs.

I don't know if the video drivers would make a difference in this case or not. I had assume that they wouldn't in the past, but I was proved wrong by an unique bug in the ATI Radeon drivers causing a problem with turn calculation. The 45.xx series drivers probably aren't the best for CM, but if you play other games, then going back to an earlier driver (such as 30.82/30.87) may not sound like a good idea to you.

I highly suggest making sure no applications are running in the background while you play CM, including anti-virus, instant messaging clients, etc. It's possible for a program in the background to interfere with CM, especially during turn calculation and possibly cause CM to crash.

Hi Schrullenhaft

Thanks for the hint! I did think it might be something to do with resource usage, but wasn't entirely sure. So I removed a lot of the programs that were run at startup (there seemed to be an awful lot of them) using jv16 power tools (good utility - would recommend). Lo and behold the game ran fine again (HOORAH!). That seems to be all it was - a lack of resources (memory, CPU, who knows?) for the game or interference from the running apps. I did also do a trace of the game using the performance monitor utilities in XP and there seemed to be an awful lot of paging going on? Given that I have 768 Mb of RAM this was a bit of a surprise. Anyway the game works fine now - although I've only tested it on the tutorial so far (it used to crash even on this before). :D

Hopefully that should be the end of it - I have however heard bad reports from people at work regarding other games and the latest nVidia drivers... :(

Chris