CM Crashes!

I just installed the retail version of CM on my machine, and am experiencing crashes in 3D mode that drop me back to the Windows desktop. I have a K6-3 450, 128mB RAM, Diamond Viper 770 using latest 368 drivers and DirectX 7.0 under Windows 98(not SE), SoundBlaster Live! Value using Liveware 3.0.

Any ideas?

Wild Bill

Much of what can be said to help you has already been said. If you search on words like CRASH or LOCKUP or BUG or DRIVER you should get some worthwhile hits.

Your basic system looks fine; decent CPU, lots of RAM.

Check your drivers! If you recently updated DirectX, reinstall ALL your drivers, as DX may partially overwrite them.

I've seen mention here of problems with certain video cards; I think the Viper is one that has to have EXACTLY the right driver (and it's not always the most recent driver, either).

DjB

I'm running a

Celeron-433

128MB SDRAM

DirectX 7.0a

Diamond Viper 770 Ultra w/368 drivers

SB Live! X-Gamer w/LiveWare 3.0

I've had no lock-ups.

Probably the problem is that you've done a recent install of DirectX. Like Doug said, reinstall both your video and audio drivers.

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus