Finally Building a Library

Hey guys, just looking for some good suggestions. I have finally decided to spend the money and put together my own resource material (so as to avoid numerous trips to the distant library).

What I would like to have would be some detailed info on the German Army in the East during the initial period of the Russo-German War. My main interest is the Battle of Smolensk, but I suppose will have to have a look at the Border Battles on the Bialystok-Minsk axis as well.

I have all of Glantz's work on the subject, but lack a detailed examination of the German forces and how they were employed (i.e. these mysterious Kampfgruppen).

Cheers

Paul

Osprey? WTF? I mean, they have they place and all, and the pictures sure are pretty, but in terms of insight ... I don't fink so.

My collection of EF material is about this big: --->| |<--- , so I can't make any specific suggestions, but these selections might be reasonable places to start looking for titles that suit you:

* Russo-German War, 41-45

* Russo-Finnish War, 39-40

* Strategy, tactics, doctrine, planning, and training

* Armies and ground forces

I hope you've got deep pockets ;) Otherwise, try looking for second hand copies through Amazon, etc.

Jon

[ February 12, 2005, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Thank you JonS and Micheal for the suggestions. I have read War without Garlands and enjoyed it immensely.

The Stone & Stone website is excellent as well. One of the sources I have come across a few times is the Nafziger Collection.

Has anyone purchased any of Mr. Nafziger's titles? Are they a good, reliable resource? He seems to have quite the assortment of oobs (at least from what I can see of his website).

Cheers

Paul

I have his 'German Infantry' and 'Panzers and Artillery'. They are ... ok. And useful start point. But they are maddeningly inconsistent and incomplete. I picked up both second hand ;) , but I doubt I'll get the SS and FJ one, unless I win Lotto or sumfink.

Originally posted by JonS:

I have his 'German Infantry' and 'Panzers and Artillery'. They are ... ok. And useful start point. But they are maddeningly inconsistent and incomplete. I picked up both second hand ;) , but I doubt I'll get the SS and FJ one, unless I win Lotto or sumfink.

Hmmm...what would be a better resource? I have seen work by various people (Craig Crofoot, Sharp, etc.) and am usually disappointed. Have you managed to find anything convincing?

Cheers

Paul

Not really. And I don't think there really is a good single source. That's why I said Naf was a good start point.

Edit: Oops. The above was in reply to your earlier post.

Is that the German Army Handbook? I understand it's ok, but as you suspect, chock full of errors and faulty assumptions. BTW, it (or at least substantial parts of it) are available online. Sorry, no link handy.