Rommel on The History Channel

Originally posted by Urban Shocker:

Tonight at 9:00 pm Eastern (US). The promos have been pushing the fact that he was in on the plot against Hitler so I don't expect a lot of early war stuff.

You're naive! Don't you know that promos always push the "good" stuff, and then the show hits you with 45 minutes of crap - in this case, cartoon sketches by a courtroom artist of what Little Erwin may have looked like in short pants while in school, and clay animation models of his battalion in action in the Italian Alps in World War One?

TUNE IN TONIGHT TO SEE HOW ROMMEL DEFIED THE FüHRER

suddenly becomes

GRANDDAUGHTER OF SQUAREHEAD'S KINDERGARTEN TEACHER REFLECTS ON ROMMEL THE BOY AND HIS MATHEMATICS GRADES

Don't say you haven't been warned.

I was actually wrong as the show as 2 hours long and covered his whole career. I thought they did a good job for the time they had allotted. Three things I really enjoyed:

1) Rommel was a real bastard that nobody wanted to be around although they'd work like the dickens for him.

2) The old Nazi film footage which I had never seen. I got to hear him talk for the first time. Montgomery, as well.

3) The radio operator in the desert with the long mutton chop sideburns. This needs to be modded immediately and put into CMAK.