Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

ATTN: GreenAsJade

Holman

Whadaya know ... the next day my first ROW V turn arrives and it's CMBB in the steppe.

GaJ_High_Contrast_Steppe is posted at CMMODS.

Any feedback welcome. When I look at the colour sequence of the BMPs it appears fine, but there are a couple of strange sudden jumps in the colours that are displayed in the one scenario I've tried. I'm not sure why that is - whether it's steep slopes or what? I didn't have a lot of time to fiddle with it ... opponents are waiting for their turn.

But keep it quiet ... I wouldn't want those ROW opponents getting any sort of help against me... ;)

GaJ.

GAJ,

I really like your terrains. I think that they are more useful than the gridded terrains overall. ALthough I am thinking about adding a 5x5 meter grid to one of yours just to see what it will look like.

To increase the contrast did you load each bitmap into an imaging program and then tweak the gamma up?

I loaded a couple of your sets into an image analysis program and looked at the histograms of values to see what kind of pattern you were using.

Is there any chance that you will complete the final CMAK terrain and all of the CMBB terrains?

If not, I think I will take a crack at doing the rest.

Great work. Thanks.

I would eventually get to them all, but if you can do them please do!

I'm actually virtually ignorant of how to properly use image manipulation programs (having spent zero time trying to learn), and I think someone with a better knowledge of the parameters of images would be able to do a much better job than I did. I just wanted something vaguely usable.

I happen to have PhotoImpact because it came with my scanner. I loaded all the BMPs into that and did this:

- Started with the darkest one (say 1550), and made it darker by clicking "reduce brightness" four times.

- Made it look more acceptable by increase contrast twice

- Applied the same to the next one (1551).

- Applied less to the next one (ie clicked reduce brightness tree times)

- Same to the next

- Less to the next

- Same to the next

etc till I got to the "middle" one in the series.

Then I stared from the other end (the lightest one) and worked in, obviously making them brighter instead of darker.

All the time I was saving each one as I went, and had the whole set displayed (in Windows Explorer) in thumbnails next to each other. Once going through the mechanical routine above I fiddled with ones that didn't look right till the sequence looked even.

There you have it: GaJ's recipe for High Contrast terrain.

A person with half a clue about images (someone who knows where the 'gamma button' is for example) could probably do much better much quicker. All I can say is "go for it" - the more better high contrast mods out there the easier it will be to play the game and the happier I'll be.

Cheers,

GaJ.