Not an intall issue, but similar

Wehr

I got my CD in the mail yesterday with no scratches what so ever (in other words, just fine). I remember that I looked because those paper CD containers have given me problems in the past.

Anyway: The game installed correctly and I even played for about a half hour with no errors.

I left the game in my CDROM over-night and when I came to play it today after work my CD ROM does not even detect a CD. I tested other CD's and they worked fine.

I looked at the back of the CM:BB CD to find no scratches but something else...sort of strange. I found that it was smeared but not in the usual sense. In the reflection, it seemed as though it had an "internal" smearing almost as though the inside of the CD itself had been melted.

I cannot play the game because today, it simply refuses to read the CD.

Has anybody else had this problem?

You have the same defective CD as the install problem people, but for some reason with delay.

The heat inside your computer probably made it snap now.

Put it in the fridge for a few hours and then make a CDROM image or a copy of it while you can, preferrably from the slowest drive you have. Do not freeze it, that will make it pour water into your drive, normal fridge should be fine and wipe it before inserting it into your drive.

Disclaimer: no warranty if you get damaged drive, CD or fridge

That has to be one of the whackiest fixes I ever seen. I may try it.

Originally posted by redwolf:

You have the same defective CD as the install problem people, but for some reason with delay.

The heat inside your computer probably made it snap now.

Put it in the fridge for a few hours and then make a CDROM image or a copy of it while you can, preferrably from the slowest drive you have. Do not freeze it, that will make it pour water into your drive, normal fridge should be fine and wipe it before inserting it into your drive.

Disclaimer: no warranty if you get damaged drive, CD or fridge

Heat does a lot of strange things to computer media.

I used fridges to great effect on 9-track tapes and QIC catridges, earning my employer a legendary reputation.

of course, then came DAT tapes, which are really a write-only medium and we brute-forced the problem by having a gazillion of drives, the tenth or so would read a given tape.