ATI cards, freezing, fog, and CDROMs

Help!

1) Half the time, when I start up CM it thinks there is no cd in the drive, and Explorer thinks the cd is an audio cd with 1 file on it. Often it works the second time I try, but not often enough. Recently I upgraded from W95 to W98 and it stopped; when I reinstalled CM in response to a display problem it started up again.

2) I just upgraded to a noname (PowerColor Game Accelerator) card with an Xpert 2000 pro AGP 2x/4x ATI Rage 128 Pro 3D Accelerator chip, 32MB. I now get freezing in the orders phase (as far as I've gotten). I have turned off anti-aliasing in response to a post below but haven't tried it yet. Any ideas?

3) What does CM fog look like? I have always used ATI cards and therefore can't be sure it's working. Surely it's not the black map you see in other games? That wouldn't make much sense in CM. I have "support fog tables" turned on in my display settings but based on a recent post can't be sure it's working for me.

Details: W98, AMD k-6 500 mmx, directx 8.1, 256 RAM, Acer 24x cdrom, let me know what else you need to know.

I'm not sure why your computer is identifying the CMBO CD as an audio CD. I've seen this before with other CDs and CD drives (not with CM in particular though) and it may be an issue with the CDROM, the drivers and the IDE controller drivers. It seems to be intermittent, so it's hard to trace the cause of it. You may want to delete the CDROM drive from the Device Manager and Windows will redect it. That might help. Depending on the motherboard you have, you may want to install the chipset and IDE drivers for it (you'll need to tell me the brand and model of your motherboard if you want further help with this).

As far as I can tell ATI has never supported fog-tables under DirectX. So no ATI-powered video card will support fog under CM (this goes for CMBB too). I don't know if ATI will ever fix this (since it isn't really a bug, but the lack of feature support). I've only seen one beta driver that got close to supporting fog on the Radeon. The problem was that the entire battlefield was solid grey when fog was present.

If you've always run with ATI-powered video cards, then you've never seen fog in CM. There are two levels of fog in CM and they can appear as a light grey mist that can cover the battlefield by just a little or cut down the visibility of terrain and objects to a few hundred meters.

You may see 'tweaker' utilities out there for the ATI cards (usually Radeons) that offer to 'turn on' fog support. They will not do anything for CM. ATI supports 'vertex fog' which is different from fog-tables. I don't know if ATI supports fog-tables under OpenGL or not (which wouldn't be useful for CM since it runs under DirectX).

I'm not sure what is causing your lockups. Did you start experiencing them right after you upgraded your video card ? I know some motherboards had problems with some ATI video cards, but this was usually a bootup problem. The chipset drivers may help alleviate some of these problems since AGP drivers are an important component which are released primarily for compatibility issues.

This time I'll type something first!

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

I'm not sure why your computer is identifying the CMBO CD as an audio CD. I've seen this before with other CDs and CD drives (not with CM in particular though) and it may be an issue with the CDROM, the drivers and the IDE controller drivers. It seems to be intermittent, so it's hard to trace the cause of it. You may want to delete the CDROM drive from the Device Manager and Windows will redect it. That might help. Depending on the motherboard you have, you may want to install the chipset and IDE drivers for it (you'll need to tell me the brand and model of your motherboard if you want further help with this).

I may have cleared this up with a new Acer driver that Windows Update found for me (handy, that!) But I have an Asus P5AB Super 7, an Intel board with an AMD stuck in.

As far as I can tell ATI has never supported fog-tables under DirectX. So no ATI-powered video card will support fog under CM (this goes for CMBB too). I don't know if ATI will ever fix this (since it isn't really a bug, but the lack of feature support). I've only seen one beta driver that got close to supporting fog on the Radeon. The problem was that the entire battlefield was solid grey when fog was present.

If you've always run with ATI-powered video cards, then you've never seen fog in CM. There are two levels of fog in CM and they can appear as a light grey mist that can cover the battlefield by just a little or cut down the visibility of terrain and objects to a few hundred meters.

Correct, then, that I have never seen CM fog: I never even knew there was supposed to be fog, though I did think it was odd . . .

You may see 'tweaker' utilities out there for the ATI cards (usually Radeons) that offer to 'turn on' fog support. They will not do anything for CM. ATI supports 'vertex fog' which is different from fog-tables. I don't know if ATI supports fog-tables under OpenGL or not (which wouldn't be useful for CM since it runs under DirectX).

It's on the Direct 3D panel of the settings, not OpenGL, so i feel I have a chance. I'll have to try a fog battle and see how it goes.

I'm not sure what is causing your lockups. Did you start experiencing them right after you upgraded your video card ? I know some motherboards had problems with some ATI video cards, but this was usually a bootup problem. The chipset drivers may help alleviate some of these problems since AGP drivers are an important component which are released primarily for compatibility issues.

Immediately after, and I have never seen it before. I also saw it once with another game demo, so it's not just CM. I did install the Asus-board AGP driver, but that CD is well over a year old, so that might be the thing to do. I have not seen a new driver on the Asus site, but I haven't looked closely.

Thanks!

Which motherboard do you have ? There may be an updated driver from the chipset manufacturer (but it may not be too much newer since you have an older K6-2 CPU possibly using an ALI chipset).

Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard ? Though there are rarely updates for the AGP compatibility, it may be worth looking into.