New Fx 5200 card

if you're buying it in order to see a huge improvement in CM i doubt that'll happen

if you're buying it to see improvements in other FPS type games you play, then you'll probably see some benefit in the form of either higher frames per second and/or being able to run the game with more of the eye candy turned on

I saw the review on them. The FX5200 comes out slower than the current 4200s. Might be a driver thing, then again the 4200s have more memory bandwith. They should be faster on some complex pixel shader operations but nothing actually in production uses those at this time.

WWB

what's it cost is the other question...

because right now the ATI 9700pro and the newly released 9800pro own Nvidia cards pretty much across the board

as much as i hate ATI, they are clearly beating Nvidia up pretty hard with their current offerings

hell, even i, someone who simply loathes ATI, would be forced to at least consider them if i was in the market for a new card

Cheers Guys.

After running the UT benchmark utility on my system,and comparing it with online results performed by others using the new Fx 5200 the Ti 200 actually came out on top! I agree that differant drivers might make a differance,but not enough to justify spending money.As a budget card though it looks impressive.If i do decide to upgrade then the radeons might be a good option (as suggested by easytarget).

Al.

Well,i decided to go for a radeon pro 9500.A local store was selling them at trade prices over the holiday last weekend and i coud not resist.After scouring the net these cards appear to offer the best value.At £130 it was about £40 dearer than the Fx 5200,but when benchmarked against my old Ti 200 card (which is only marginally slower than the fx,apparrently) it is easily 3 times faster .I now have a super fast system which copes easily with UT,Mohaa BF1942 etc with much improved graphics.

As for CM it works fine.I played the deadly encounter scenario tonight and it was great (apart from some shimmering on certain vehicles when viewed at distance).I realise there are issues with fog emulation which i recall seeing on this board and wondered if anyone could suggest a scenario which might test this out.Or will it simply not work?

Al.

Hi mate,

The fog does not work full stop with the Radeon cards I'm afraid. Just something we have to live with. Believe me, I own 2 decent Nvidia cards and a 9700Pro, and the ATi card eats them both for breakfast smile.gif .

You want to be using the latest cats with the Ati card. New cats will be released at the end of the month so I've been told. Although you won't be able to use FSAA with them and CMBB you will be able to use AF, which you can nudge all the way up. It looks pretty damn good, especially on larger displays.

FWIW, (useless fact number one) if you had bouught a 9500 NP, with L shaped memory on the pcb, you could have patched the firmware turning it into a 9700 :cool: