Opinions on these books

I just picked the following up at the library. I'd be interested in the board's opinion on them;

'Saving the Breakout' by Alwyn Featherston

'The Relief of Tobruk' by W. E. Murphy

'Against the Panzers' by Allyn R. Vannoy and Jay Karamales

'By Tank Into Normandy' by Stuart Hills

Thanks in advance,

civdiv

Originally posted by civdiv:

'The Relief of Tobruk' by W. E. Murphy

'Against the Panzers' by Allyn R. Vannoy and Jay Karamales

I own both of these, and both are very good.

"AtP" can get a bit tedious on places - one of the chapters especially I found took ages to get through - but good, detailed descriptions of battles, and good analysis.

"tRoT" is a detailed look at CRUSADER. It focusses on 2(NZ)Div, natch, but provides detailed descriptions of other actions to give context. It also goes right through to the end of CRUSADER, around Gazala and after, into 1942, which is a phase of the battle not often mentioned. There are some minor issues with it due to age, and the inherent bias of OHs, but overall I think it's well written and balanced.

Incidentally, all 50 of the NZ WWII OHs are available here in full. Murphy wrote a couple, including the Artillery unit history. Broadly, there are two streams: each of the campaigns the NZ Div was involved in has its own volume (broad coverage, narrow focus in time), and each unit in the Div also has its own volume (narrow focus, long duration)

Both books have terrific maps.

Have already finished 'By Tank Into Normandy', very good read but just slightly disapointing. I wish the author had done a bit more tank vs tank combat, but then maybe if he had he wouldn't be writing the book. But very well written.

I am about a 100 pages into 'Against the Panzers', and besides the semi-tedious first chapter, it is very, very, good. Very good accounts and maps down to positions of individual crew serve wpns and AT guns. I would think it is great fodder for scenario designers.

Oh, and before I revive the dreaded exploding flamethrower thread, there is an eyewitness account of a German flamethrower guy getting torched when his flamethrower tank was hit by a bullet.

civdiv

Originally posted by civdiv:

Have already finished 'By Tank Into Normandy', very good read but just slightly disapointing. I wish the author had done a bit more tank vs tank combat, but then maybe if he had he wouldn't be writing the book. But very well written.

civdiv

Jeez man ... i take years to read a 5 page booklet .... tongue.gif

I think the best part of the book has to be were recaps one of the dudes saying something along the lines of:

"Ive spotted what appears to be four Tigers in the woods up ahead, am engaging!"

ballsy! :D

I wish the author had done a bit more tank vs tank combat, but then maybe if he had he wouldn't be writing the book.
Infantry are just as bad! I recall him mentioning a Panzerfaust ripping off a good chunk of his tank! :eek: