A Thousand Ways To Die - Random CMAK Battle

Thanks for all the positive feedback! smile.gif Sounds like the random reinforcements are generating the gaming experience I intended!

:mad: :mad: SPOILER WARNING :mad: :mad:

SPOILER

What I found most enjoyable about this scenario is the way the battle shifted to and fro.... The random reinforcements, with the probability edge weighted to the AI, helps even the playing field against the human.

As for the decimation of the early allied armor, I experienced similar situations during playtesting - I usually had a few armored reinforcements trickle in - the early M4's and M10's - and they were quickly smoked by German big cats. I didn't have to wait as long for the M4A3(76)W's, however! Such are the misfoturnes of war.... I'm also glad to see that you are also experiencing a similar human infantry v. AI armor duel in one or both of the southern towns of Celano and Pizzoli. Those can be real nail-biters, especially if you lose your bazooka teams.

I created a CMAK scenario called "Khamsin" and posted it up at the scenario depot. It is made for PBEM play and features 8 rounds of random reinforcements over a desert map with poor visibility in the April 1942 time period. It is definitely PBEM only lots of towed guns and stuff that the AI would botch. I had fun with this scenario and it inspired me to figure out how to make it myself - thanks to the author. I am working on a few others with different time periods and different terrain. Then if they are at all successful I will create versions of them for play vs AI with forces more appropriate for their control.

As far as play balance, I agree it is a crapshoot, all you can do is give both sides equal chances and if luck favors one side, that is the way it goes. The purpose is to have fun, after all, since there are lots of other balanced scenarios out there to play.

I JUST ADDED ANOTHER ONE IN A TOWN - IT IS CALLED "HEAVY TRAFFIC".

[ July 22, 2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Carl Puppchen ]

• 1 month later...

I now have 4 random scenarios out there -

Khamsin - mid 1942 desert

Heavy Traffic - mid 1943 city battle

Bloody Beach - Axis assault mid 1943, dynamic flags

Bridge2far - meeting engagement, sept 1944, random

Any comments are welcome. They are all at the scenario depot.

I have been playing these random games a lot for PBEM and we have been having a lot of fun with them. Play tends to be more aggressive since if you have reinforcements and your opponent doesn't you tend to push for the "far" flag. As a result there is lots of action and risky behavior, which makes for fun games. Obviously these are not historical. Balance seems reasonable, but that is only my opinion.